Error loading madExceptWizard_.bpl

delphi package - automated exception handling
CFlem

Error loading madExceptWizard_.bpl

Post by CFlem »

Hello,

I recently installed madexcept on my VDI with the intention of using it with Delphi 10.4, how when starting the Delphi IDE I get the following:

The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library "C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madExcept\BDS21\win32\madExceptWizard_.bpl"

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Error loading madExceptWizard_.bpl

Post by madshi »

BDS21 is the version number of XE7, not 10.4. Is it possible that somehow your XE7 installation data was copied over to 10.4? I think you need to cleanup as follows:

1) Uninstall madCollection.
2) Search registry for mad*.* and remove all entries that belong to madCollection. You can limit this to the Embarcadero registry keys, if you like.
3) Start Delphi to check that it starts up without any complaints and with no traces of madExcept left.
4) Finally you can stop Delphi and reinstall madCollection.

Hope that helps?
CFlem

Post by CFlem »

That didn't solve my issue...
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

After step 3), did Delphi start up without any complaints?

Does Delphi now again complain about the madExceptWizard_.bpl in BDS21 path?
CFlem

Post by CFlem »

After step 3 I could start Delphi without getting the error message. The BDS21 path is being created by the madexcept installer. Right now I have to version of the Delphi IDE installed on this VDI, Delphi 10.4 and Delphi 11.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

What is a VDI?

You're saying you have Delphi 10.4 and Delphi 11 installed, is that correct? Does madExcept work in Delphi 11?

At the end of the installation, the installer usually reports into which Delphi versions madExcept was installed. Can you upload a screenshot of that report?
CFlem

Post by CFlem »

VDI - Virtual Desktop Infrastructure

Madexcept installs without problem in the Delphi 11 IDE.

Below is the requested screen shot:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (11.56 KiB) Viewed 8238 times
This is the only screen that shows besides, a link that opens to madshi.net
Last edited by CFlem on Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Could it have anythong to do with VDI? I've just checked it here and madExcept works fine on both 10.4 and 11 for me, on Windows 11.
CFlem

Post by CFlem »

I am not sure but I am running Delphi 11 on the same VDI and it works fine. You mentioned a report of what versions of the Delphi IDE madexcept was installed. Where would I fine that report. Is it possible that I am not using the right installation exe?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Nah, I misremembered my own installation report... :oops:

Can you please check which subfolders your madExcept folder has? There should be at least 1 "BDS27" folder for Delphi 11. What other folders are there?
CFlem

Post by CFlem »

There are two folders BDS21 and BDS22 I assume that the BDS21 folder is for Delphi 10.4 and the BDS22 folder is for Delphi 11
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (38.99 KiB) Viewed 8236 times
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Oh man, I'm being stupid. I've mixed up the product version with the BDS number, I'm sorry. To be honest, Delphi has far too many different version numbers. It's Delphi 11, but BDS version 22, and product version 27 and compiler version 34. At some point, one is bound to get confused... :(

So let's restart this problem hunt. You originally reported the following complaint:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madExcept\BDS21\win32\madExceptWizard_.bpl"

So it seems this path is correct, after all. Can you verify that this file exists and looks "ok" to you (e.g. not empty)? In your Delphi 10.4.2 installation, can you please open "Delphi menu -> Component -> Install Packages" and check if there are any madCollection packages listed? There should be at least madBasic_, madDisAsm_, madExcept_ and madExceptWizard_ listed there. Are they? And are they checked?

Can you please also check the NTFS access rights to the madExcept\BDS21 folder? Does the user which runs your Delphi 10.4.2 installation have read & execute rights to the BDS21 folder?
CFlem

Post by CFlem »

Got the issue resolved, it was because of the registry settings being incorrect. There were bpls from a previous install causing the issues.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Well, that's what I suggested the cleanup earlier like this:

1) Uninstall madCollection.
2) Search registry for mad*.* and remove all entries that belong to madCollection. You can limit this to the Embarcadero registry keys, if you like.

Properly done, these 2 steps should have resolved the issue... :wink:

Anyway, I'm glad you got it solved, and thanks for letting me know.