Crash at IDE start

delphi package - automated exception handling
mjr

Crash at IDE start

Post by mjr »

Hi!

I recently reinstalled madExcept, last version, with the last update and it seemed that the installation did fine (got the success message for the modules) but the IDE couldn't launch anymore..
It was blocked at 'Loading madexcept_.bpl' then shut down.
When looking a bit further, I discovered with procmon that the IDE was trying to load C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\madCollection\madExcept\BDS20\win32\madExcept_.EN
and C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\madCollection\madExcept\BDS20\win32\madExceptIde_.EN but those files don't exist. That's when the IDE crashes (without any error).

I uninstalled MadExcept and the IDE is working fine again.

Did I miss something at the installation?

Thank you,

Mjr
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Crash at IDE start

Post by madshi »

These ".EN" files would be translation files, but they're not required, so it doesn't really make sense that the IDE would crash due to not finding those. There must be a different reason.

Can you try if this build works any better for you?

http://madshi.net/madCollectionUpdate.exe
mjr

Post by mjr »

Working fine with MadExcept 4
Still the same with MadExcept 5 :/

Here's in attachment the Windows Error log
Attachments
Report.7z
(5.99 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Last edited by mjr on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Can you try if renaming "BDS20\win32\madExceptIde_.bpl" changes anything?
mjr

Post by mjr »

It says the package could not be found, and asks if I want to attempt to load it the next time a project is loaded.
No matter my answer, the splash screen stays on 'loading package madexcept_.bpl' a few seconds and then stops.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

So doesn't help, if I understand you correctly?

Do you have any other Delphi version installed on your PC? Or do you have another PC with the same Delphi version installed?

It works fine for me, and I don't have any active reports/complaints from other users about this problem. So I think it must be something specific to your installation. Maybe some 3rd party component/library installed on your PC that doesn't like madExcept (or vice versa). Or maybe something specific to your OS installation. I've no idea, to be honest.

I assume you haven't used madExcept before? So there's e.g. no custom BPLs you've compiled yourself with old madExcept builds which are loaded in the IDE or anything else like that?
mjr

Post by mjr »

So doesn't help, if I understand you correctly?

-> indeed :/

Do you have any other Delphi version installed on your PC? Or do you have another PC with the same Delphi version installed?

-> My coworked has same windows, same Delphi vesion, same madCollectionUpdate and it works well on his side.

It works fine for me, and I don't have any active reports/complaints from other users about this problem. So I think it must be something specific to your installation. Maybe some 3rd party component/library installed on your PC that doesn't like madExcept (or vice versa). Or maybe something specific to your OS installation. I've no idea, to be honest.

-> The only 3rd party I have is MMX code Explorer, I tried to uninstall it and it 's still the same, and my coworker has it and it's working fine.

I assume you haven't used madExcept before? So there's e.g. no custom BPLs you've compiled yourself with old madExcept builds which are loaded in the IDE or anything else like that?

-> Yes I have used madExcept before, but the problem with freeLibrary pushed me to temporarily uninstall it. I only reinstalled now you've fixed that (thanks again btw).
So indeed I have a bunch of projects with madExcept, but I'm pretty sure none of my installed custom components has it. Tried to open a single project without madExcept too, no improvement.

Any idea how I could debug this?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Those custom components are your own? Maybe you could try to temporarily "uncheck" them to see if that makes any difference?

Also, in order to rule out some conflict with remnants of an older madExcept installation you could try to uninstall madCollection, and then search harddisk for "mad*.*", and delete everything that belongs to madCollection. Maybe that helps?

If none of the above help, it could become hard to analyze because we don't really have a good crash report, and it seems to be a unique (specific to your PC) problem somehow.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Hi Madshi!

Since our last discussion I had a very urgent work, so I decided to work without MadExcept and finish what I had to do first, and look for that issue after.
During that time, I had a pretty big issue with Delphi that made me completely uninstall and reinstall it.

I decided to try and reinstall MadExcept after that and it's working again!
Same projects, same options,.. I guess I broke something in Delphi, but what? and how?.... Anyhow, you can consider this ticket closed! :)

Thanks for your support! :)
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Glad to hear that! :D