Lazarus Support

delphi package - automated exception handling
FCS

Lazarus Support

Post by FCS »

Hello,

Do you plan add support for Lazarus/FreePascal IDE/compiler ?

I consider migration from Delphi to Lazarus, and MadExcept is missing for this process.
The FastReport, UniDac, kbmMemTable, TRichView components have support for Lazarus now.

Regards
Michal
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Lazarus Support

Post by madshi »

Sorry, not planned atm. Generally, Lazarus is a freeware sort of thing, and I assume that developers opting for Lazarus over Delphi are less likely to pay for 3rd party components. So adding support for Lazarus is not likely to end up bringing me much added income. At least that's my current point of view. Am I wrong?
FCS

Post by FCS »

Hello,

In my opinion you are wrong in this point of view. I have existing projects which I plan to migrate to Lazarus. In these projects I use components I described in the last post. I decided to buy and test TMS FNC UI Pack as replacement of TMS Component Pack especially for AdvStringGrid. I use your product in my Delphi projects too. At this moment prices of Embarcadero XE 10.3 are not acceptable. The current price of Delphi 10.3 is about 1720 EUR +VAT, which means for me about 9100 PLN. It is like for you 9100 EUR. In this case I'm looking for alternative which allow me use existing code. I thing that FreePascal is today stable and fast compiler. Lazarus is the IDE for this compiler. In summary compiled programs should work well. The other alternative is migrate to MS Visual Studio and rewrite all programs. In compare VS in professional version costs about 500 EUR and has features like Enterprise version of Delphi which cost 4040 EUR +VAT.
In my case I can use VS for free for creating commercial applications.

In addition Lazarus allows to create programs for Linux platform too, which is not possible in Delphi. Some of my users hate Windows 10 and are looking on Linux as alternative, but there are no applications for it.

Last year you decided to change your business model to subscription. I consider buying it, but I expect you add support for Lazarus.

Regards
Michal
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I'm not sure how many Delphi devs are moving to Lazarus, and how many of those would pay for madExcept. Supporting Lazarus would probably cost me *serious* development time because the necessary RTL hooks go very deep. Which means I would have to sell a *lot* of new licenses to make that worth it for me. I just don't think that would work out, economically.

It would probably make more sense for me to port madExcept to MSVC++, to be honest. There at least I'd have a gigantic new market of potentially new customers.

Atm I'm busy with a completely separate project, anyway, though, so I don't really have a lot of resources available for madExcept in the next few weeks.