Delphi Rio Release 1 issues

delphi package - automated exception handling
simpsons

Delphi Rio Release 1 issues

Post by simpsons »

Hi,

I can not use the current madExcept 5.0.0 (2.8.8.4) beta with Delphi Rio Release 1 (edit: same behaviour with 5.0.0 (2.8.8.0) from 2018-11-29).
Everything compiles fine as a 32bit application, but the executable does not show any memory leaks or exception dialogues anymore.
Furthermore the executable (or threads or anything) is still running in the background after close and cannot be deleted or recompiled.
The app process is not shown in the Windows task manager.

I cannot reinstall madExcept either, because the last start of my app seems to have madExcept32.dll still locked.
ProcExplorer shows that the dll is still loaded by the app.
Hmmmmh, why is the dll loaded anyway as all checkboxes are checked to link-in madexcept.

I've checked and observed the exact same behaviour on two Windows 10 64bit PCs.

Anything that I can do to provide more infos?
simpsons

Re: Delphi Rio Release 1 issues

Post by simpsons »

OK, this is triggered by the setting "instantly crash on" + "buffer overrun".
Switching this off and the app reports ressource leaks again.

But the question still stands, why the dll is loaded, when madExcept should be linked into the app...
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Is this a new problem with Release 1? Can you reproduce this with a brand new (almost empty) test project?
simpsons

Post by simpsons »

Jepp, simple project with just two buttons, one triggering a memory leak, the other one an exception.
If BufferOverrun is on, the executable is invisible in the task manager after close, but the process is still there (procexp64 sees it) and has madexcept32.dll loaded and locked.
No memory leaks are reported.
I get more than the one expected exception dialogs.

Switching BufferOverrun off, everything is working fine.
Memory leak is reported after close and I get only one exception dialog.

But with either setting, the madexcept32.dll is loaded and is still blocking the process after the exception.
When I click on "continue" in th exception dialog, the form doesn't show up anymore and the process is still running in the background.
See screenshot of procexp64.
Attachments
2019-02-18_135441.png
2019-02-18_135441.png (9.59 KiB) Viewed 4757 times
madExceptBufferOverrun.zip
(53.07 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Ok, thanks. This could be a bug in madExcept, or a bug in Rio Release 1, can't say right now. I'll have a look at that when I find some time, might take a couple of days, though. For the time being, it might make sense to disable the "instantly crash" feature.