Using Mantis in application running in a Virtual Machine

delphi package - automated exception handling
CBelanger

Using Mantis in application running in a Virtual Machine

Post by CBelanger »

Hi, all:

I am hoping someone knows how I can correct this:

I have my application set up with madExcept uploading the bug report to a MantisBT site. Works great! Really like Mantis and its interface.

I have a couple of users who decided to run my application in either VMware or the Windows equivalent, Hyper-V. In both cases, when testing the bug reporting process, the bug report is created, the madExcept dialog pops up and on the right lower corner the progress bar shows connecting and sending the bug report.

But... it never shows up at the Mantis site.

Any clues as to what is going on here?

Thank you!
Chuck
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Using Mantis in application running in a Virtual Machine

Post by madshi »

I've no idea right now. Maybe the firewall somehow blocks it? But then madExcept is supposed to report a problem.

You could try WireShark or some other network sniffer to figure out what's going on.
CBelanger

Post by CBelanger »

Hello:
Looks like my next step is to try the WireShark approach.
What I did do is at the MantisBT web site set logging on in the Config_ini.php file.
Cleared the current log and then deliberately forced a bug in the VM running version of my app.
Then I saved that log file under a new name and did the same for my app running in Windows 10 on a laptop. Then compared the two files.

This is what I observed:
1. The big obvious difference is that the two attachments (bug report and screen shot) are not seen in the log file.
2. The first 571 lines are exactly the same, except for the date-time stamp, many SELECT commands
3. Then there are 222 lines of code operations missing in the VM log (INSERTS, SELECTS and creating an email report sent back to the admin)
4. There is no error logged when the operation seems to stop, but clearly it stops after INSERTing into only one table, thus no site information available because a number of tables need to be updated to collectively display the site information.

My guess right now is that something is terminating the connection at the VM side.
Will continue...
Chuck
slemmnord

Post by slemmnord »

Hi!

Did you ever find out what was the cause?

I'm having similar issue (attachments missing). However in my case there does not seem to be relation to running in VM or not.