Install madExcept3 in D2007 on Windows 10

delphi package - automated exception handling
uligerhardt

Install madExcept3 in D2007 on Windows 10

Post by uligerhardt »

Hi all!

I have difficulties getting madExcept3 to run in my Delphi 2007 (I know, old stuff) on Windows 10. I'm normally working with a non-admin account, so I had to install Delphi and madExcept using a different account with admin rights. The madExecept installation worked without complaint, but I don't have the madExcept config menu item in the Delphi IDE. When I'm adding the missing Known Packages entries with regedit, I get this when starting Delphi:
[Window Title]
Fehler

[Content]
Package C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madBasic\BDS4\madBasic_.bpl kann nicht geladen werden.
Zugriff verweigert.
Soll dieses Package beim Laden des nächsten Projekts geladen werden?

[Ja] [Nein]
The same configuration worked on my previous Windows 7 computer. What can I do?

Best regards,
Uli
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Install madExcept3 in D2007 on Windows 10

Post by madshi »

Try adding NTFS read/execute rights for "Everyone" to the madCollection installation folder, that should solve the problem.
uligerhardt

Post by uligerhardt »

Thanks for your answer, madshi, and happy new year!

I tried to follow your advice, but I have no "Everyone" on the security page for the folder. Every item I have there besides "CREATOR OWNER" already has "Lesen, Ausführen" rights. I tried adding them for "CREATOR OWNER" too, but the they're silently reset everytime. :-(
uligerhardt

Post by uligerhardt »

I just tried re-installing madCollection to a non-restricted folder. Didn't work either.

FWIW: Using MSBuild inside a batch file to build our main project I get
Schwerwiegend: F1026 Datei nicht gefunden: 'C:\DelphiKomp\madCollection\madExcept\BDS4\madExcept.dcu'
. But the DCU is exactly there. I got this error earlier too with the default installation location.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

In German it's "Jeder" instead of "Everyone". In the "Sicherheit" tab you need to click on "Bearbeiten", then "Hinzufügen", type in "Jeder", make sure that "Lesen, Ausführen" is activated for "Jeder".
uligerhardt

Post by uligerhardt »

Windows won't let me add "Jeder" that way, but I can add "Everyone" despite having a German system. "Lesen, Ausführen" is active by default in the new entry. Unfortunately this still doesn't help.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

You may also have to activate it for all sub folders. You can do that by clicking on "Erweitert" and then check "Alle Berechtigungen für untergeordnete Objekte..." and "Übernehmen".

Are you in an ActiveDirectory environment? In that case I suppose the users might be coming from the server and that might make them English? I've no idea, just guessing. Normally, it's "Jeder" for a German OS.
uligerhardt

Post by uligerhardt »

madshi wrote:You may also have to activate it for all sub folders. You can do that by clicking on "Erweitert" and then check "Alle Berechtigungen für untergeordnete Objekte..." and "Übernehmen".
Still no luck. :sorry:
madshi wrote:Are you in an ActiveDirectory environment? In that case I suppose the users might be coming from the server and that might make them English? I've no idea, just guessing. Normally, it's "Jeder" for a German OS.
I guess so. My "normal" user is "in the domain" whereas my admin account is local.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Hmmmm... Not sure what's happening there.

We could do a TeamViewer session, maybe?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

P.S: After all this trouble you've had it's possible that Delphi stored the madExcept runtime packages in the "Disabled Packages" (or was it "DisabledPackages"?) registry key. Could you double check if that's the case? If so, just delete these entries, maybe that fixes the remaining issues?
uligerhardt

Post by uligerhardt »

madshi wrote:P.S: After all this trouble you've had it's possible that Delphi stored the madExcept runtime packages in the "Disabled Packages" (or was it "DisabledPackages"?) registry key. Could you double check if that's the case? If so, just delete these entries, maybe that fixes the remaining issues?
I had an entry "C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madBasic\BDS4\madHelp_.bpl" for my normal user (not in the admin account) which I removed. Didn't change the IDE problem.

But my major pain point seems gone - I just could do an MSBuild of our project in madExcept configuration.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Ok, still not sure why it doesn't work yet. My dev PC is Windows 8.1 x64, but I have all Delphi versions installed and running fine from Delphi 4 to the latest.
uligerhardt

Post by uligerhardt »

May there be a difference between madExcept 3 and 4 regarding this?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Not really. madExcept 3 stops at some higher Delphi version, but D2007 should still be supported. OS support is no different between v3 and v4.
uligerhardt

Post by uligerhardt »

FWIW: The problem is still there with madExcept 5. I'm installing a new computer and can't really remember what I did to make my madExcept installation work "good enough" on the old system, and I can't replicate it on the new system. Copying the old installation folder to the new system at least let's me MSBuild my code again.

I can't see a difference between the two folders' access rights, but one shows a shield icon next to "Bearbeiten" in the security dialog, the other one doesn't.