noted that madkernel beta for XE7 is causing many virus issues

Gen:Variant.Strictor.65915
Trojan.Win32.Generic.ami
Win32/Trojan.c9a
madshi
Site Admin

Re: XE7 support

Post by madshi »

With which AV software? Do you have a small test project with which this problem can be reproduced? It's obviously a false positive, so we will have to report this to the AV companies.

FWIW, signing your exe file with a code signing certificate usually gets rid of these false positives.
simpsons

Post by simpsons »

Hi Mathias,

with the last beta release of the madcollection 2.7.9.11 I have a strange issue on one XE7 installation, but only on this particular one (Win7 Ultimate, x86).
The startup screen of XE7 lists a couple of design time packages that are loaded, then it indicates that madexcept_.bpl is to be loaded and suddenly XE7 terminates, without any trace or message.
After I uninstalled madcollection everything works fine again, all packages are loaded and the IDE is starting.
I didn't had this issue with the beta 2.7.9.8.

Is there any log or something that I can check, why this happens?

BR,
Stefan
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

That is very weird. Just checked, doesn't happen on my dev PC. Can you please try the following:

(1) Create an empty file "madExceptWizard.txt" on your desktop. Then start XE7. Is there something written to that file when the problem occurs?
(2) Try renaming the file madExceptWizard_.bpl, so XE7 can't find it. XE7 should then complain, but does it start successfully, at least? When XE7 asks, tell it you want it to retry loading the package next time, otherwise XE7 will never try to load madExceptWizard_.bpl again.
simpsons

Post by simpsons »

Hi,

no, there isn't written anything into the file "madExceptWizard.txt", because the IDE already terminates when madexcept_.bpl is loaded, madExceptWizard_.bpl would be loaded afterwards.
When I rename madexcept_.bpl then the IDE complains about the missing file and after a couple of message dialogues, finally the IDE starts.
I've purged everything in the registry related to madexcept and reinstalled, but to no avail.

The old beta revisions (2.7.9.x) don't work anymore either, so that has something to do with this specific PC, and not with madExcept.

BR,
Stefan
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I've no explanation right now. Is it possible some old madBasic_.bpl or something is sitting somewhere and making madExcept_.bpl crash? You could try a cleanup like this:

(1) Uninstall madCollection.
(2) Search harddisk and registry for mad*.* and remove everything that belongs to madCollection.
(3) Start Delphi to make sure there are no complaints, and no traces left of madCollection.
(4) Reinstall the latest beta.
simpsons

Post by simpsons »

Hi,

problem fixed after a couple of hours work on the registry and installed packages under XE7.
Some packages couldn't be loaded together with madexcept and had to be recompiled. I also have removed all references to madexcept from the registry and reinstalled.

BR,
Stefan
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Are you using madExcept in your own self-written design time packages? If so, yes they may need to be recompiled after you install a new madExcept version, unfortunately.