RegisterShellEvent on network drive problem

delphi package - easy access to shell apis
Leander van Eck

RegisterShellEvent on network drive problem

Post by Leander van Eck »

Hi,

I'm experiencing some problem when using Registershellevent on a network drive to monitor seItemCreated events (other events may be problematic as well, but i have not tested those).

Sometimes the notifications stop coming through. Resetting the registershellevent seems to be the only solution when this happens.
I've found that the FindFirstChangeNotification API has a similar problem.

When switching to a local drive everything works perfectly.

I'm using MadShell 1.3p from Madcollection 2.5.2.1

Is this a known issue in MadShell. I really need to be able to monitor network folders and the only other solution i have is to check continually using a timer.

Thanks in advance,
Leander
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

If the FindFirstFileNotification stuff stops working after a while, too, the problem is probably somewhere in the OS itself. So I fear there's not much I can do to fix this.

How often does this problem occur? Would it help if you used a timer not to poll directory changes but to reset the shell event stuff? Maybe once every 10 minutes or something like that?
Leander van Eck

Post by Leander van Eck »

The problem might occur after the first shell event, or it may not happen for another 100 shell events. Generating network activity after a shell notification seems to reduce the occurence.

I agree that the problem most likely exists within the OS.

A timer that starts after a notification and resets the shell event might be a usefull solution.

Thanks.