Deny Taking Ownership

delphi package - easy access to security apis
satKrish

Deny Taking Ownership

Post by satKrish »

Hi,

My System is in a Network Domain.
I need to protect a File/Folder from getting copied by other users.I worked on Access Control Entries and provided permissions to a folder so that it can be accessed programmatically only. If I Click on that folder it says Access Denied.

I have given List Folder contents permission and Traverse and Read Permissions and allowing access to only my user name.

Unfortunately I found that by right clicking on the folder->Security Tab-> Advanced->owner tab the user can Replace the owner and and can have full control to folder.

Is there any possibility for me to disable that option?
or else atleast can we remove the security tab option from properties for that specific folder.

I need an approach.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Satya
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

You cannot remove the security tab from a specific folder, that's just not possible, as far as I know. You can disallow changing the owner, but only if the user doesn't have admin rights. As soon as the user has admin rights, there's no stopping him copying your file (at least not by using the NTFS access rights). Of course you could go a level deeper and hook file access at driver level. But that's really nasty...