Coming ServicePack 2 for Windows XP

c++ / delphi package - dll injection and api hooking
Garwin

Coming ServicePack 2 for Windows XP

Post by Garwin »

Hi,

in near future Microsoft is going to publish the Servicepack 2 for Windows XP.

It should make the System "more secure" through restricting the memory access of the programs.

Can anybody say whether and how this new Servicepack affects madCodeHook?

Thanks
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

One of my customers tested that a few weeks/months ago. The older versions of madCodeHook made problems. But the current official version should run just fine. I was not able to test it myself yet, but my customer said it would.
RussD

Post by RussD »

I tested this just recently myself, when I became curious too. Using MS Virtual PC 2004, I loaded up a Windows XP Pro virtual session, then updated it with the new XP Pro SP2 RC2 install. That is the latest release available. I then fired up my product, which does various hooks and IPCQ communication. It ran without any problems.

I didn't actually see all that much different with this new release, on the surface at least. There is a new security center, a convenience to checking firewall/virusscan/etc software. If there are more security measures running under the surface, they did not make themselves known. And they caused no problems for madCodeHook.

I'll be doing more extensive testing of XP SP2 shortly. I'll notify if I find any problems then.

I am using the latest version of madCodeHook.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Russ, the problem only exists with CPUs which support the NX (execution protection) functionality. The only CPU (apart from the Itanium) which supports NX is the Athlon64. So: Do you have an Athlon64? And does MS Virtual PC 2004 simulate an Athlon64 in their VM? If not, you can't really test the complications that NX can create.
RussD

Post by RussD »

I don't have an Itanium or Athlon64 at my disposal. I'll check with others in my company. Not sure what Virtual PC would do with it. When I run my virtual sessions, they seem to identify my real cpu, but a different chipset and motherboard, as these sessions were created by another. But if I get the opportunity, I'll test it out and let you know what I find.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Thanks.