Current VISTA support stauts?

c++ / delphi package - dll injection and api hooking
xrfang

Current VISTA support stauts?

Post by xrfang »

Hi Madshi,

I have just been recovered from endless programming (using madcodehook :crazy: )...

Haven't been on this forum for quite long time. I would like to know current status of vista support. Could you please tell me:

- Is VISTA (resonablly well, or fully) supported by the latest version?
- Are both 32bit and 64bit supported?
- What change needs to be done to the existing code? Typically:
* code that use ipc channel
* Inject DLL
(I hope we can just replace the madCollection without change anything in our code :crazy:)

I searched the forum and get a lot of, IMHO, outdated information. As vista is really new stuff. Please give me some hints of the above... thanks! :D

Shannon
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

There's a build for commercial customers with full support for Vista 32bit. There's not yet a comparable build for non-commercial customers. I'm working on that.

Basically if you use the latest commercial build, you should be fine with Vista 32bit. Of course there might be changes you need to do in your software unrelated to madCodeHook.

Here are a few things to note:

(1) Some IPC methods don't work in Vista, anymore. If you use madCodeHook's IPC functionality, you're safe.

(2) Even when the current user is admin, the processes don't run with admin rights by default. You need to right click a program -> run as admin to really start a process with admin rights. madCodeHook's DLL injection does need admin rights, so you need to be aware of this.

(3) You might run into trouble with getting your hook dll into some system processes. The reason is that Vista's default NTFS rights might allow read access for user applications but block it for system processes (very strange). So if you have problems, make sure you get the NTFS rights right.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

P.S: 64bit support is still in the works.
dcsoft

Post by dcsoft »

madshi wrote:(2) Even when the current user is admin, the processes don't run with admin rights by default. You need to right click a program -> run as admin to really start a process with admin rights. madCodeHook's DLL injection does need admin rights, so you need to be aware of this.
Admin rights are required only to inject into all processes. Injecting into a single process using it's process id does not require Admin rights (same as before Vista).

-- David
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

dcsoft wrote:Admin rights are required only to inject into all processes. Injecting into a single process using it's process id does not require Admin rights (same as before Vista).
True, thanks for the clarification, I was thinking about system wide DLL injection.