Any way to resolve -> "Entry point not found"

c++ / delphi package - dll injection and api hooking
pepsi237

Any way to resolve -> "Entry point not found"

Post by pepsi237 »

Hi,

I have a exe ( i dont have the source code for this one), and this exe works fine on Win 98, ME, XP and 2000. It fails to work on windows NT though.

It gives the error -> "The procedure entry point FlashWindowEx could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll."

I ran depends.exe and noticed that this function is not there in the binding list. I am not sure if this function is called in the first place.

Is there anything that can be done to make this work on Windows NT ???

Windows NT (user32.dll) has only a FlashWindow function and not FlashWindowEx. If I can somehow hook it, then I call the old FlashWindow function instead of the FlashWindowEx.

-Thanks.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Someone evidently statically links to FlashWindowEx. Either your exe, or one of the dlls your exe links to. Otherwise this error message wouldn't make any sense.

Such static link errors can't really corrected by hooking. You just need to find out who links to FlashWindowEx.
pepsi237

FlashWindowEx - Windows NT problem

Post by pepsi237 »

I am really stuck at this one because the exe is created using Macromedia Director MX 2004. Macromedia support just says they no longer support Windows NT.

There is nothing I can really do about with dll linking or the way the exe is being created.

Thanks Madshi. I just guess there is nothing much that we can do about with this one.