How to hook when DeviceEject.exe calls CM_Request_Device_Eject_ExW?

c++ / delphi package - dll injection and api hooking
psy2391

How to hook when DeviceEject.exe calls CM_Request_Device_Eject_ExW?

Post by psy2391 »

I want to hook API when C:\Windows\System32\DeviceEject.exe calls CM_Request_Device_Eject_ExW.

However, the callback I registered is not called even though HookAPI succeeded and DeviceEject.exe called CM_Request_Device_Eject_ExW.

Just in case, when I created a test program and called CM_Request_Device_Eject_ExW directly in the program, the callback was called normally through API hooking.

It seems that hooking is not working only for C:\Windows\System32\DeviceEject.exe, but I would like to know the cause.

The test was conducted on Windows 10 64bit 22H2 (19045.2604),
DeviceEject.exe was executed by calling it in the following form from cmd.

"C:\WINDOWS\System32\DeviceEject.exe" 0 "Instance path of currently connected USB" 1
e.g.) "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DeviceEject.exe" 0 "USB\VID_0781&PID_5567\4C530001300816116481" 1
madshi
Site Admin

Re: How to hook when DeviceEject.exe calls CM_Request_Device_Eject_ExW?

Post by madshi »

Are you 100% sure that your hook DLL was successfully injected into DeviceEject? Are you 100% sure that the API was really called? One of these things might just be false. For example, the API you're mentioning seems to come from Cfgmgr32.dll. Maybe there's a lower level (native?) API which does the same thing and may DriverEject.exe calls that API instead of the higher level Cfgmfg32 API? Things like that are happening all the time...
psy2391

Post by psy2391 »

1. I was to display the current injected process as a debug message at the DLLMain entry point, and I confirmed that the DLL was injected into DeviceEject.exe.
2. I used HookAPI at the DLLMain entry point to hook the CM_Request_Device_Eject_ExW of CfgMgr32.dll, and as a result, TRUE was returned.
3. I used a separate program called API Monitor to confirm that CfgMgr32.dll's CM_Request_Device_Eject_ExW is called in DeviceEject.exe.
I also confirmed that the DLL I created was injected into DeviceEject.exe, and the API hook was performed, and then CM_Request_Device_Eject_ExW was called.

Are there any other things to check?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

What happens if you call LoadLibrary("CfgMgr32.dll") before calling HookAPI() in your hook dll? Does HookAPI() still return TRUE in that case for the DriveEject.exe process? And does it work then?

Also, how do you know that the hook callback function was truly not called? I've had a case reported where someone thought the hook callback function was not called because their call to OutputDebugString didn't work, for some reason, for it was the OutputDebugString which failed, not the hook. Maybe you can use some other method to double check instead of OutputDebugString? E.g. create an empty file in a folder that you have NTFS write access to.