Forcing IAT patching?

c++ / delphi package - dll injection and api hooking
XanSama

Forcing IAT patching?

Post by XanSama »

Hey, I'm wondering if it's possible (I'm under the impression it is) to use IAT patching with madCodeHook rather than the overwriting, and if so how i would go about doing that.

Thanks,
Xan
Arksole Hoax

Post by Arksole Hoax »

Dosnt madCodeHook chose the compatiblest method of hooking ?
A Force flag might be work but woulndt it risk system instability?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

madCodeHook doesn't do simple IAT hooking at all. Why would you want to do that?
XanSama

Post by XanSama »

I'm rather willing to take that chance. currently madCodeHook is using code overwriting and it is "working" in so much as it sucessfully overwrites the code. Unfortunately the application I'm attempting to hook notices this and exits. And I know for a fact IAT patching works because I've done it manualy before and not had this problem.

edit: just saw your post, damnit. :(

hmm, any thing else I could do (with madCodeHook) to avoid this problem? or do i need to go back to doing it manualy?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

You can try using the "MIXTURE_MODE" flag. This forces madCodeHook to use its second best API hooking method, which is a combination of IAT patching, EAT patching and code overwriting. Maybe that works for your specific case.
XanSama

Post by XanSama »

alright thanks. now, and even n00ber question :/ what do i have to set the MIXTURE_MODE flag to to enable it?

edit: or how do i use it :/ because i think i have no idea.

edit2: got it, testing.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Check the documentation of "HookAPI".
XanSama

Post by XanSama »

god damnit, sorry it seems to be my dll, and by my dll I mean any delphi compiled dll, that's making it exit. :/ I know this isnt exactly madCodeHook related, but any ideas?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Does it also happen with the precompiled madCodeHook demos?
XanSama

Post by XanSama »

yeah, it was happening with everything i tried... turns out i just needed to reboot, the program had sent up some sort of red flag the first time i tried to hook and wasnt running any more (with or without dlls). Got it now anyway, and works with mixture hooking :) all is well. thanks.