Display Process ID of Process that is currently locking a Mu

delphi package - easy access to kernel objects etc.
enoder

Display Process ID of Process that is currently locking a Mu

Post by enoder »

Hi,

Is there any way to get the process ID of the process that is currently locking a Mutex?

Thanks
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

enoder

Post by enoder »

Thanks but that only gives me

Mutant_basic_information
LONG CurrentCount;
BOOLEAN OwnedByCaller;
BOOLEAN AbandonedState;

I know that thie can be done somehow, because if you look at process explorer by sysinternals they can display it.

Anymore ideas?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Ah yes, I thought the "owned" field would contain a thread ID, but I was wrong.

Probably you can ask the owner somehow by using some of the native APIs. NtQueryMutex or something like that. Don't know the details, though.
enoder

Post by enoder »

Can I use your hooking API to hook calls to create WaitForSingleObject and ReleaseMutex?

If so can I hook these calls from a specific dll ?

If I can do both of the above I can track who currently owns the mutex, by recording the process id of the process calling that function in that dll.

Thanks
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

You can hook those APIs, however please be aware that these APIs are called *very* often. They're also often called by madCodeHook itself. So be cautious that you don't create endless recursion. E.g. if you hook WaitForSingleObject and if you then call WaitForSingleObject in the hook callback function, then you have endless recursion. Same thing if you call something in the hook callback function which internally calls WaitForSingleObject. E.g. I think you can't use madCodeHook's IPC functionality inside of a WaitForSingleObject hook callback, cause that would result in endless recursion. Understand what I mean?
enoder

Post by enoder »

Thanks for the reply, sounds like it may not be very efficient to Globally hook those API's - although I may have to use this method as a last resort.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

It's definately not very efficient.