Compiling?

delphi package - easy access to kernel objects etc.
AndrewVos

Compiling?

Post by AndrewVos »

Hi there
I was wondering if you could help me a bit here....
I'm a bit lost, do I need to compile the installed files, or is a library installed somewhere?
If so which compiler do you use?

Regards,
Andrew Vos
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

madKernel ships with precompiled DCUs for D4-D7, D2005-D2006, BCB5-6 and BCB2006. If you have of these, just add madKernel to your uses clause and you're ready to go.
AndrewVos

Wow

Post by AndrewVos »

Fast response, and from the creator too.

Ok I have to say it took me a while to work out what you mean by D4 etc.
So I need Delphi. Is Delphi available free? I'm currently working in .net. (2003, 1.1)
Any idea on a next step?

Thanks for the quick response, greatly appreciated.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I'm sorry, right now I'm not supporting DotNet yet. Maybe (probably) DotNet support will come sooner or later (rather later).

If you want to use madKernel, you need Delphi or Borland C++ Builder, that's right. For commercial usage you need to buy Delphi, but the older versions should be available quite cheaply.

For what purpose exactly are you interested in madKernel? Maybe there are ways to realize this without using madKernel? I've nothing against getting another customer, but to be honest, madKernel was written for Delphi programmers. So if you're not using Delphi (yet), madKernel was not really made for you. I'd feel a bit bad, if you had to buy a whole new programming language just to use one of my components.
AndrewVos

yeap

Post by AndrewVos »

Yeah i'd feel quite bad too buying a whole new IDE :wink:

I'm interested in madKernel system tray utility. I am working on a windows shell replacement, a free one naturally.

Will your tray utility work in the absence of the explorer shell?

This is precisely what I need.

Any ideas?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

No, it won't work without the explorer.

If you're working on a shell replacement, why don't you check out the already existing shell replacement projects? I believe they've solved the problem by trying to duplicate the explorer's tray window including all necessary messages etc.

Alternatively you could try to hook the tray APIs system wide. This way you would have full control over the tray icon stuff, too. But I think the solution used by the other replacement projects is probably better.
AndrewVos

Yup

Post by AndrewVos »

This is what i've been doing with bbLean, but to be honest i'm a bit lost in the code.
Ok so now I know, I should get back to googling then :sorry:
(or learn a new language!)
Thanks for all you help!