Error in Windows version detection

delphi package - automated exception handling
thany

Error in Windows version detection

Post by thany »

It seems that Windows XP x64 is being detected as Windows Server 2003, in the bugreport. This is with madExcept 3.0a.

It's probably because they're both NT 5.2, but with GetVersionEx you can get much more information than just the version numbers... so at least it's fixable :)
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Ouch!

Can you give check what GetVersionEx reports in "wProductType"? I currently don't have XP x64 installed, so I can't check it right now.
thany

Post by thany »

Sorry for the late reply :-x

wProductType would be VER_NT_WORKSTATION.

Also bare in mind that the difference between Windows 2003 and Windows 2003 x64 is *only* found in its architecture type. You might wanna check this with IsWOW64Process(), but that wouldn't work on a future Delphi x64-compiler (which is on the agenda :)). The right way to go would be GetSystemInfo() and checking SYSTEM_INFO.wProcessorArchitecture against PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64. That should work for both the Athlon 64 and the Pentium 4 w/EM64T.

Also, what I don't know (yet) is how to distinguish between Windows 2003 and Windows 2003 R2...
Markham

Post by Markham »

thany wrote:a future Delphi x64-compiler (which is on the agenda :)).
Are you sure about this? As far as I'm aware all development work has stopped on all future language product releases and Borland is seeking a buyer for its Languages Division. It's also quite likely that a version of BDS for Netframe 2 may now not appear.

Mark
thany

Post by thany »

Well in May 2005 I believe it was, I was at this conference where the lead compiler developer spoke. And one of the visitors asked him about a 64-bits compiler. The speaker said it had low priority, but it was definately on the list for "a future Delphi version".

And personally I think that if they continue to create Delphi for win32, they're gonna have to make a win64 version sooner or later.
Markham

Post by Markham »

Well a lot has happened since last May. Borland now has a new (ex-Microsoft) Chief Executive who has decided that the company can not make money out of IDEs and associated compilers.

"The Register", an online industry newspaper, has been reporting on this and here's one of their stories at the bottom of which you'll find links to all earlier and later related stories.

Part of the company's decision I'm sure stems from the Delphi 2005 release which was rather lack-lustre - to put it mildly - and not taken-up by developers in anything like the same numbers as, say, Delphi 7. The lack of Netframe 2 support in BDS 2006 doesn't help win back developers even though its IDE is considerably more stable and the product is considerably less buggy.

Mark