Features

delphi package - automated exception handling
Oliver

Features

Post by Oliver »

Don't you just love new feature requests?

Can we have a choice of screen formats beside PNG? I have sites that block some encodings, and one that doesn't even have PNG associated with a program.

Is there any way to customize the crash screen? At the moment I can set a string, but for the Freeze screen, I'd like to create a friendly screen with a simple message and a continue or quit button, in the style of my application. Possibly similiar for a crash. Amongst other things, I'd like to present the exception error message to the user as part of the main screen.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

>> Can we have a choice of screen formats beside PNG? I have sites that block some encodings, and one that doesn't even have PNG associated with a program.

What other format would you use?

GIF still has license problems in some countries and is less effective in compression compared to PNG.

JPEG needs lots of code for the compression. It would blow up madExcept's footprint.

>> Is there any way to customize the crash screen? At the moment I can set a string, but for the Freeze screen, I'd like to create a friendly screen with a simple message and a continue or quit button, in the style of my application. Possibly similiar for a crash. Amongst other things, I'd like to present the exception error message to the user as part of the main screen.

You can already do all that. However, please note that madExcept's exception box is thread safe, so it can be shown in any thread. When your own friendly screen is done using VCL you can only show it in the context of the main thread. BUT - if your program is frozen, the main thread doesn't react anymore.

CRASH DIALOG:
You can replace it with your own dialog by using RegisterExceptionHandler (just show your own dialog in the your exception handler, then set "handled" to true). Your own dialog may use VCL, but then your exception handler must be synchronized (= called in the context of the main thread).

FROZEN DIALOG:
You can replace it with your own dialog by using RegisterExceptionHandler again. But this time you can't use VCL, because when the frozen dialog appears the main thread is just that - frozen - and can thus not show your VCL form. As a result, if you want to replace the frozen dialog, you must write that box by using something thread safe, e.g. pure win32 APIs like CreateWindow etc...
Fallen Angel

Screen of the program

Post by Fallen Angel »

Sorry for my English...

Why to not add an opportunity of preservation of a copy of the screen of the program in any case, and not just at sending by mail ?
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Screen of the program

Post by madshi »

Fallen Angel wrote:Why to not add an opportunity of preservation of a copy of the screen of the program in any case, and not just at sending by mail ?
That functionality is already there. See here:

http://help.madshi.net/madScreenShotUnit.htm