ME3 doesn't work in IDE

delphi package - automated exception handling
rossmcm

ME3 doesn't work in IDE

Post by rossmcm »

I had ME2 working fine. I installed ME3 and now I can't get exceptions trapped when running the app from the Delphi 5 IDE. If I use DCC32 to compile and then run the patcher it works fine. If I compile and run from the IDE all exceptions are quietly eaten - no window, no bugreport.txt.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

That's strange. Can you reproduce the problem with a brand new (almost empty) test project? Do you see the menu item "madExcept settings" in your D5 IDE's "project" menu?
rossmcm

Post by rossmcm »

I can see the ME menu options OK. If I enable Delphi's exception handling it picks up the exception.

I can't try it on a small app till I'm back in the office next week, but I'll let you know.
rossmcm

Post by rossmcm »

Weird. A simple one-button app works fine. I guess it could be due to some ME2.7 stuff still lying around - any idea where I shoul look?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Hmmmmm... I'd suggest this:

- uninstall madCollection
- search your harddisk for mad*.*
- delete all files that belong to madCollection
- reinstall madCollection

If that doesn't help, backup your original project's "mes" file (where the madExcept settings are stored) and then delete it and make a new one for madExcept 3.
rossmcm

Post by rossmcm »

weirder still. Uninstalled ME and I still observe the effect. If I have "Stop on Exceptions" turned on it snags OK. If turned off when I step through the code that causes an exception (deliberate array out of bounds) the app just goes back to running.
rossmcm

Post by rossmcm »

aaahhh.. Found a Appevnts in my uses clause - removed that. Uninstalled ME and reinstalled. Now I can't get ME to handle exceptions in the IDE!! I get the Delphi snag box only.

I think I'm going mad.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Hmmm... We can do a remote assistance session. I could then analyze the problem directly on your PC. What do you think?
rossmcm

Post by rossmcm »

sure - what do I need to do?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Sorry for the late response. Well, you can choose which remote assistance method to use. E.g. we can try the built in remote stuff in XP. Or we can use 3rd party tools like RAdmin or VNC. Just choose what you prefer. This all might only work if you can turn off your firewall (not sure about that, though).
rossmcm

Post by rossmcm »

The remote assistance thing built into Windows looks OK. I'll do some tests to make sure the firewall doesn't screw things up. Timezones might be a problem though. I am GMT+12, plus 1 hour for summer time.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Well, just give me a shout when you're ready to roll.
Grey

Post by Grey »

I am seeing exactly the same problem with an app using ME 2.7. Did anyone ever work out what caused this?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

We solved the problem over remote assistance. I've done this:

- uninstall madCollection
- search harddisk for any left over mad*.* files and delete them
- search registry for any left over mad* entries and delete them
- reinstall madCollection

Problem solved!

On rossmcm's computer there were some registry keys I deleted. They had to do with a 3rd party tool which manages different Delphi configurations (don't remember the name right now, something like Delphi configuration manager). In the end we were not fully sure which of the registry keys and files we deleted were guilty for the problems, but it just worked fine again in the end.