Cant find Unit.VersionVariable in V3 madExcept settings

delphi package - automated exception handling
Peter

Cant find Unit.VersionVariable in V3 madExcept settings

Post by Peter »

In Version 3(beta 4) I can not find Version Var in "madExcept settings" dialog box. Was under GENERAL SETTINGS|VERSION VARIABLE in version 2.7h.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I found no good place where I could fit it into the madExcept 3 settings dialog. It's still supported, but you have to directly edit the mes file with Notepad to get it working. Just check out how the version var stuff was stored in the 2.7h mes file and copy that over to the 3.0 mes file. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Peter

Post by Peter »

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find a place to include Version Var in the madExcept 3 settings dialog. I dont like to play in .MES files plus why have a dialog box if you have to edit some settings manually. And I feel that having the program version fairly important to include in the report file. Maybe a good place for it is in string list of the custom strings tab?

P.S. I tried the addition in program code of

procedure ExceptionFilter(const exceptIntf : IMEException; var Handled : Boolean);
begin
BugReportHeader['application version'] := VarContainsAppVersion;
end;

but found that it does not include it in the saved report file if handler is registered with epCompleteReport (works fine if using epMainPhase). I used epCompleteReport because if program is frozen I reboot computer in the registered handler and figured it would be good if report was finished and saved before rebooting.

By the way thank you for an excellent piece of software which has helped me on numerous occasions to make my debugging experience a pleasant one.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Peter, I'll think about it. The version var stuff was asked a lot, I was not aware of how much it was in use!

You can install multiple exception handlers, btw! You could install one to add information to the header (by not using epComplete) and another one for the rebooting.
rossmcm

Post by rossmcm »

I'd agree - it is useful, (in fact I've never been able to get ME to find my version variable anyway, but assuming I sort that out, I support moving it back to a dialog).

Another reaon is that the MES file is not all that sociably formatted for human editing - it has very long lines in it which although notepad handles it OK, my editor of choice doesn't.

Ross