Two madExcept requests

delphi package - automated exception handling
SpiderVenom

Two madExcept requests

Post by SpiderVenom »

Just two requests I had:

1. Use normal windows buttons in the error window - the current ones look a little gimmicky, and I think using regular buttons would look more professional (just my opinion though).

2. It would be nice to see improved SMTP server sending code. The current implementation seems to offer no support for timeouts. This leads to several problems... dialup connections don't always perfectly sustain data transfer, and if it pauses even for a second it generally fails. Also, I have a firewall, and if I don't give the app permission to send data quick enough... it fails :(

Regards
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

You can disable the gimmicky buttons by doing:

madExcept.OwnerDrawButtons := false;

The SMTP sending code has a timeout of 7 seconds for each receive. It's strange that it seems to fail for you with only 1 second delay!

The SMTP client code should work through firewalls, I believe. However, I know that the SMTP server code needs some tweaking for firewalls. E.g. the DNS OS settings are ignored in the moment. I'll work on that quite soon.
SpiderVenom

Post by SpiderVenom »

Ok, thanks. One small thing then... would it be possible to have a check box in the madExcept settings to do this?

Btw, when is the best time to set madExcept options at runtime... I guess it's best to do so as early as possible, so when is that?

Thanks
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Well, out of the hundreds of madExcept users you're only the second person asking for how to use standard buttons, so it seems to me that there's no big demand for that. I might consider adding a setting later, though. A redesign of the settings dialog is planned, which will make place for new/more options.

You should set the options in a unit initialization. Of course the sooner you set them the better. So the most optimal solution would be to set the settings in a little unit which imports nothing but madExcept and which is one of the first units in the project's uses clause.
SpiderVenom

Post by SpiderVenom »

Second? Lol, that figures (dang, so close to first) :P

Thanks a lot for the advice on option setting at runtime too.