Access violation in module coreide60.bpl

delphi package - automated exception handling
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Ok. How do I debug the IDE? I've never done that yet!
eberry

Post by eberry »

madshi wrote:Ok. How do I debug the IDE? I've never done that yet!
You can debug the IDE by loading any DLL/package project and then doing this:

Select Run, Parameters from the IDE menu. Enter the IDE's executable as the host application for your package.
Run the host application (F9), and another copy of your IDE should appear.

Your dll/bpl project doesn't need to actually be loaded by the IDE to see the errors.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Do you have the IDE exception catching unchecked in the madExcept configuration box (see Delphi's "tools" menu)? Try checking that box, then restart Delphi and close it down. Does the shutdown exception go away now?
eberry

Post by eberry »

Turning that ide exception catch option off does not help for me.

Unchecking the MadEcept 3.0a B4 package before shutdown does prevent the 2 errors from showing, though. The same symptom happens and the same package uncheck workaround prevents the errors for me in Delphi 7 as well.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

So, I meant it the other way round. I can reproduce the problem with the "IDE exception catching" disabled. But the problem goes away for me if I enable that feature. I just want to double check if you have the same effect.
eberry

Post by eberry »

I seem to get the shutdown exceptions in Delphi 6 whether or not I enable or disable the "IDE exception catching" setting under Tools, MadExcept configuration.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

The setting needs a Delphi restart before it takes effect. So basically you need to do:

- change setting.
- restart Delphi.
- shutdown Delphi.

Does the crash still occur with enabled IDE exception catching? I can't reproduce that here!
eberry

Post by eberry »

For me, it doesn't matter whether the IDE exception tracing setting is checked before IDE startup or unchecked before IDE startup. I still get the shutdown crashes either way. The only workaround I've found is to uncheck the madExcept package in the project options before shutting down.

With exception tracking off before startup:
---------------------------
Debugger Exception Notification
Project delphi32.exe raised exception class EAccessViolation with message 'Access violation at address 40003447 in module 'rtl60.bpl'. Read of address 40474BB8'. Process stopped. Use Step or Run to continue.
OK Help

With exception tracking on before startup:
Debugger Exception Notification
Project delphi32.exe raised exception class EAccessViolation with message 'Access violation at address 40003447 in module 'rtl60.bpl'. Read of address 40474BB8'. Process stopped. Use Step or Run to continue.
OK Help

Unchecking the madExcept 3.0B4 package stops the IDE shutdown exceptions.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Strange. This time I can fully reproduce it. Hmmmm...

You can work around the problem for now by removing the package "madExceptIde_.bpl" from the list of installed packages. That solves the problem on my PC. This package is only needed for the "IDE exception catching" functionality. So it's not really necessary. I'll try to find out the reason for the crash.