Newlines in exception messages

delphi package - automated exception handling
nandod

Newlines in exception messages

Post by nandod »

Hello,
sorry if this has been talked about before, but I couldn't find it in the forum archives and the FAQ. I am testing madExcept 3.0 with the "simple dialog with Details button", and I am wondering why the exception message has the newline characters missing and how can I have them back if possible.

Thanks
--
Nando
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

What do you mean exactly with "newline characters missing"?
nandod

Post by nandod »

What do you mean exactly with "newline characters missing"?
Let's say my exception text is:

This is an exception
message that spans
three lines

What I see in madExcept's dialog is this:

This is an exceptionmessage that spansthree lines

Ciao
--
Nando
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I'll check that.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

madExcept intentionally removes all control chars from the exception message. I'm not sure right now why I implemented that. I guess I ran across some exception messages with bad chars in it, maybe with bad line breaks in it.

I could change madExcept, so that it doesn't remove line breaks, but I'm not sure whether it's really a good idea.

You could use "%lf%" in your exception message. madExcept doesn't remove that and shows it as a line break. Does that help? Or do you still prefer, if madExcept wouldn't remove the line breaks in the first place?
nandod

Post by nandod »

madExcept intentionally removes all control chars from the exception message. I'm not sure right now why I implemented that. I guess I ran across some exception messages with bad chars in it, maybe with bad line breaks in it.
I'm not sure what a "bad" line break is so I cannot comment. If there are characters that cause problems to some of your processing then you could filter them and just leave line breaks in. I don't think any other control character is needed, but line breaks are different. They are used by many libraries to format exception messages.
I could change madExcept, so that it doesn't remove line breaks, but I'm not sure whether it's really a good idea.
I'm sure it's not a good idea to remove them, at least from my POV. :-)
You could use "%lf%" in your exception message. madExcept doesn't remove that and shows it as a line break. Does that help? Or do you still prefer, if madExcept wouldn't remove the line breaks in the first place?
I don't have problems with my exception messages only, but with those thrown by libraries such as IBObjects as well. I guess I could install some global handler that transforms all newlines to %lf% (would madExcept allow that, BTW?), but I'd certainly prefer an option to turn this filtering off; I believe it could be useful for many users, not just me.
Thanks.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I didn't know that there are 3rd party components which use multi lined exception messages. Ok, the next build of madExcept will no longer remove line breaks from exception messages.
nandod

Post by nandod »

Thanks!
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

If you want to try the next beta build which already will include this change, you can download it here tomorrow:

http://madshi.net/madCollectionBeta.exe
nandod

Post by nandod »

Works beautifully, thanks; under test now - looking forward for an official release.