Problems using madExcept with Armadillo

delphi package - automated exception handling
jarrod

Problems using madExcept with Armadillo

Post by jarrod »

I'm having problems protecting my application with Armadillo (http://www.siliconrealms.com) when I enable madExcept.

Here is a post from the Armadillo forums from the main developer of Armadillo:

"Another customer had sent us a program using madExcept to test for this, and it appears that madExcept *does* make changes to the code section of the program. We've found no way to identify the changes it makes as safe. Because of this, the Memory Patching Protections option can't be used with it, sorry."

This is from 2004.12.05 but there are a few people who complain of problems when using madExcept.

Does madExcept make changes to the code section of the program at runtime?

If so can that be disabled?

Thanks,
Jarrod Hollingworth
Backslash
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I'm not sure exactly which Armadillo options work and which not with madExcept. I know for a fact that some of my customers are using Armadillo + madExcept together and have no problems. But it might very well be, that they had to dial down the protection options a bit.

Yes, madExcept does do changes to the code section, and unfortunately if I would turn that off, madExcept would stop working. Any exception catcher with similar functionality to madExcept has to change the code section somewhen. The only thing I could do is to do the changes at compile time already. Not sure whether that's really possible, though, would need to think about that.

Btw, there's one known problem with madExcept + Armadillo, even when you dial the Armadillo settings down: When you have your own dll and compile it with madExcept + Armadillo, you'll get stability problems in win9x. The problem is limited to win9x and only occurs with Delphi dlls. The problems occurs because of a bug in Armadillo (I was able to reproduce the problem without madExcept, too), but the Armadillo guys have not been able to fix it yet. As long as you don't use Delphi dlls, you're safe, though.
jarrod

Post by jarrod »

OK, thanks.

I think that I can live with Armadillo's highest protection with the exception of having to disable memory patching protections.