Feature Req: madSHI Dialog - Sizeable and fit content

delphi package - automated exception handling
TheEdge

Feature Req: madSHI Dialog - Sizeable and fit content

Post by TheEdge »

G'Day,

- I am a longtime happy user of the madSHI libraries and in particular madExcept
- Couple of things would make things better ;-)

1. madSHI exception dialog was resizeable (ie had sizeable borders)
2. Remembered its position and size
3. Had an option to have a horizontal width what would fit in the widest line.

Currently it is too narrow to fit the longest line and each time an exception occurs I have to use the scrollbars to see all the text.

TIA
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

The widest line is sometimes *very* wide, e.g. thanks to this one:
70ad0000 comctl32.dll 6.0.3790.0 C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.100.0_x-ww_8417450B
So making the dialog that wide might make it as wide as the screen is. That wouldn't look nice, if you ask me.

A resizable dialog was often requested and might come sooner or later. One problem right now is that there are 2 different states: First we see the dialog and not yet the bug report. In this situation the dialog is nothing but a message box with buttons. It would feel mighty strange, if the dialog was resizable at this point in time. Then if you click on "show bug report", things change. But Windows doesn't accept changing the "resizable" state on the fly.

Remembering the size/position? Per program or per module or system wide? Where should the information be stored? I guess this feature makes sense mostly if the dialog is resizable.
TheEdge

Post by TheEdge »

madshi wrote:The widest line is sometimes *very* wide, e.g. thanks to this one:
70ad0000 comctl32.dll 6.0.3790.0 C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.100.0_x-ww_8417450B
So making the dialog that wide might make it as wide as the screen is. That wouldn't look nice, if you ask me.
Agreed but if the dialog position and sizing was remembered then this could be managed by the user.
A resizable dialog was often requested and might come sooner or later. One problem right now is that there are 2 different states: First we see the dialog and not yet the bug report. In this situation the dialog is nothing but a message box with buttons. It would feel mighty strange, if the dialog was resizable at this point in time. Then if you click on "show bug report", things change. But Windows doesn't accept changing the "resizable" state on the fly.
Make it resizable all the time. When the dialog itself if showing with no bug report override the mouse resizing messages and mouse cursor change messages to make the dialog look like it is non resizable. When the bug report is visible then let it behave as if it is resizable (ie dont override the default messaging behaviour).
Remembering the size/position?
Per program. When running under the IDE this would apply to all projects as Delphi is "the program". For compiled EXE's this would work as well. Any finer grained (ie module etc.) would mean you spend too much time seting up all the positions. I would see this being most useful in being able to pop up the dialog in a place that is "not in the way" esp in the IDE where you could put it on the secondary monitor (we have 2 monitors for development) so that all the source in the IDE is still visible.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

TheEdge wrote:When the dialog itself if showing with no bug report override the mouse resizing messages and mouse cursor change messages to make the dialog look like it is non resizable.
Are you sure that this would really work? I always thought that you can overwrite the mouse cursor only if it's in the client area of the window. Not sure, though.