Stack info not in bugReport variable

delphi package - automated exception handling
c78

Stack info not in bugReport variable

Post by c78 »

Trying madExcept in BCB5 .. Have exception dialog turned off, and am using the exception component's handler procedure.

If I'm running the app inside the IDE debugger then all stack info is provided in the bugReport variable in the handling procedure. But if I run the .exe outside of the debugger then the bug report only shows the module list and hardware info.. Everything except stack trace and disassembly info.

In my settings I have debug info with stack info turned. I'm probably missing something simple?
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Stack info not in bugReport variable

Post by madshi »

Can you reproduce the problem in a little demo project? If yes, could you please send me the project files? Thank you!
c78

Post by c78 »

Oddly, when I imported the Form containing the exception handler to another project the problem went away. I saved the form after importing, then went back to the original project and compiled it again and the problem went away for that project too.

I can tell you that when I first created the form, I mistakenly put two exception components on one Form without realizing it. This caused madExcept to not work at all. I realized the problem and removed one component, and then changed the event handler of the remaining component to the old components procedure. After this I noticed that stack trace was missing from the bugreport when running outside the IDE..

Anyway.. Side question, I notice that Disassembly info isn't included in bugReport variable. I'd like to get this the same way the Exception dialog includes it in the bug report?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Hmmmm... Strange effects...

About disassembling: Is it available if you let madExcept show the box? Basically if you turn disassembling on in the madExcept settings, you should see it in the bugReport string in your handler. Does that not work? In that case can you please try to do a test project again? :confused:
c78

Post by c78 »

I sent you a demo project which causes two exceptions. For one of them madExcept provides Disassembly info, the other it doesn't. I don't understand asm very well, just very basic things. So maybe this effect is intended.

I'm running this in VMWare, in case that makes any difference.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

The reason why you don't get a disassembling for the AV is this:
main thread ($750):
0000000a ???
The exception location is at address $0000000a. And there's no valid code at that address. So madExcept has no code which it could disassemble.
c78

Post by c78 »

Ok. Thanks for checking.