madExcept not working with projects from a Network share

delphi package - automated exception handling
brian

madExcept not working with projects from a Network share

Post by brian »

Latest Delphi 11.3 and madCollection

If I compile/run a project from a Network share, madExcept doesn't work (no crash trigger or resource leak report, as if it's not compiled in the exe)
madshi
Site Admin

Re: madExcept not working with projects from a Network share

Post by madshi »

Hmmmm... Do you compile to an UNC path or to a mapped drive letter?
brian

Post by brian »

Mapped drive with relative Output path like "..\..\App"
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Hmmmm... Can you please create an empty file "madExceptWizard.txt" on your desktop, then afterwards start Delphi and compile your project. Then please zip the text file and attach it here.
brian

Post by brian »

here you go
Attachments
madExceptWizard.zip
(4.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

The log file claims that the patching of the EXE file done successfully. The path listed is "D:\Apps Code\test madshi\Win32\Release\Project1.exe", is that correct?

Have you tried copying the EXE file to a local dir? Does it work then? I wonder if it's not the compilation to a network share which is the problem, but the running from a network share?
brian

Post by brian »

I do the compilation from within a virtual machine in VMware, to a share, which is a disk in the host. If I run the compiled app in the host, madexcept is not there (no trigger on exceptions and no message about memory leaks when I close it). If I save the same project locally instead (inside the vm), it works. Both files have the same size, but different CRC

Checking both EXEs: both have madTradeProcess under Exports, and the madexcept form is actually embedded in the resources, so it's actually there, just not working for some reason

madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I've had people report problems when compiling from a VM to a network share before, and we never quite figured out where the problem comes from. It's not really easy for me test because I haven't used VMs in a long while.

I've just now tried compiling a test project to a mapped network drive letter, and it compiles fine, and madExcept works fine. So it seems to be the combination of VM + network drive, which causes the problem.

Did you try running the EXE outside of the IDE? Fails, as well?
brian

Post by brian »

Sorry, maybe I should have started with that about the VM, and yes, same problem, either running from the IDE or compiling then running the exe. I will try to do some digging and get back to you, thank you.
brian

Post by brian »

All I found so far is a 2-bytes difference in the MAD_EXCEPT resource. Trying to change them for the ones from the working exe results in a corrupt EXE, I guess it's an address:

madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Can you upload the EXE files that are identical except for this resource? I don't need to be able to execute them, just want to check out the difference in detail. Not sure if this forum supports uploading big files, might be better to use some free file host, e.g. MediaFire or something.
brian

Post by brian »

Here, but they are not identical, otherwise the hex modification of the resource would have made the other one work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BfI26P ... share_link

"local project1.exe" -> compiled in a local guest folder within the VM
"project1.exe" -> compiled in the host machine's shared folder