Senders email address missing

delphi package - automated exception handling
dwilbourn

Senders email address missing

Post by dwilbourn »

I recently started on a new app and have noticed that the bugreports it generates for this app almost always have the 'sent from' email address set to the 'send to' address so I can't see who they are from. Very occasionally I will get one with the senders email address. In the bugreport itself, my other apps have a contact name & contact email field, the new app does not have these fields.
The madExcept version is 5.1.2 in both apps.
The old app is compiled with Delphi XE3 while the new one is Delphi 11.2
Old app is 32bit, new is 64bit.
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Senders email address missing

Post by madshi »

There should be no difference in this behaviour based on either the Delphi version or the bit depth (32 vs 64bit). However, there could potentially be a difference based on either the madExcept build or your own code.

Which bug report sending method are you using? If it's SMTP, then there's a global "var SmtpMailFrom: UnicodeString" variable that you can set if you happen to know the user's email address. Otherwise, you can also set the "IMEException.MailFrom: UnicodeString" property in a bug report handler.
dwilbourn

Post by dwilbourn »

Tanks for the quick reply!
I'm using the same sending method in both apps (I think), the new one started life as a copy of the old. I had to move to a new PC with Windows 11 & Delphi 11.2 so I don't have easy access to the old version and settings anymore. I certainly don't have any custom madExcept code, it was all just 'off the shelf' settings. It's a commercial app downloaded and installed from my website so I have no idea who the customer is until they send me a bug report. I did have to use the new 5.1.2 version for the new app because of Delphi 11.2.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

You can compare the madExcept settings directly in the EXE files, by using a free resource editor. E.g. this one is pretty good:

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

The madExcept settings are stored in "RCDATA\TMADEXCEPT". ResourceHacker will show them as readable text to you.
iconic
Site Admin

Post by iconic »

Resource Hacker (ResHacker) is one of the oldest and best out there :D It was also written in Delphi which is a plus for deployability and performance. I've used it extensively over the ages, great tool!

--Iconic
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Agreed!! For many years I used an old build which only supported 32bit files. And then I found out that there was a new build with full 64bit support. I was quite happy!