Heavy memory use in Windows 11

delphi package - automated exception handling
Ken

Heavy memory use in Windows 11

Post by Ken »

Delphi 10.4 CE
madExcept 5.1.2
Windows 11

I am finding several of my (private) programs running out of memory when accessing large number of files.

I eventually cut my Backup program down to 40 lines to reproduce it. The memory use starts at about 120MB and just goes up to about 830MB, and then OutOfMemory.

I stumbled over the fact that if I switch off madExcept all is well

Ken
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Heavy memory use in Windows 11

Post by madshi »

You probably have either leak reporting or "instantly crash on buffer overrun" (or both) turned on. See first page of the madExcept settings. These features are only meant for debugging purpose and should probably not be turned on all the time. And they work better in 64bit than in 32bit, because they consume a lot of extra RAM.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Thank you! I can vaguely remember turning these on for some reason and obviously forgot to go back and turn them off.

Ken
Ken

Post by Ken »

I also ran out of disk space on my C: at around the same time. Does madExcept use temp files? There were a few 2 gig files and one 26 gig file, in Appdata\local\temp, called FCC...temp or similar.

Thanks
Ken
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I don't think those are from madExcept. madExcept might store bug reports that are not sent in a file, but only if your settings ask madExcept to do that, and those bug report files shouldn't get that big.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ok, thanks, just eliminating possibilities. Will keep looking.

Ken