delphi package - automated exception handling
pcoenen

Re: Exception not caught in Delphi 11.2 Alexandria 64 bit

Post by pcoenen »

Any news regarding the update?
fmcoder

Post by fmcoder »

Waiting for the update too. Downloaded http://madshi.net/madCollectionUpdate.exe but it seems that bugs mentioned here viewtopic.php?p=54463#p54463 still not fixed (casting pointers to Integer in 64-bits).
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I'm very sorry for the lack of update. However, the latest build should be pretty much final. All that's missing is slightly updated documentation (mostly just the changelog). So I don't really see the urgency, to be honest.

Casting points to integer in 64bit is bad, but it is not happening in madExcept, as far as I'm aware. madKernel and madShell are not part of madExcept and do not support 64bit.
fmcoder

Post by fmcoder »

Good. BTW I ordered an update couple of days ago but still didn't receive an updated key :(
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Have you checked your spam folder? I think your key file will probably be in there. Sometimes I'm a day behind with key file sending, but rarely more than that. If you can't find the key file, please send an email to me and I can resend the key file.
CharlieHeaps

Post by CharlieHeaps »

Hello - could you confirm if there is a version of madExcept available that works with 11.3 (and 11.2) now? (i.e. one that addresses the ASLR issues? If so, how to get the updated download? I'm not clear if the main download on your website (http://madshi.net/madCollection.exe) has been updated. Version numbers seem not to have changed (5.1.2 and only says it supports Delphi 11 - not 11.x). Thanks!

P.S. I just renewed my subscription, which I seem to have let lapse (last done late 2021). Small suggestions to you: (1) could you send users a reminder when their subscriptions are about to elapse? (2) could you allow subs for multiple years? Thanks for considering!
aehimself

Post by aehimself »

CharlieHeaps wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:59 pmHello - could you confirm if there is a version of madExcept available that works with 11.3 (and 11.2) now? (i.e. one that addresses the ASLR issues? If so, how to get the updated download?
http://madshi.net/madCollectionUpdate.exe

Works fine in 11.2, 11.3 seems to be okay as well (however, done only 2 internal builds so issues still can arise).
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

On a quick check, the latest "Update" build seems to work fine in 11.3. If you run into any trouble, just let me know.

Yeah, I'm really bad at sending out renewal notes. I'm also having a bit of a bad conscience for taking your money without doing any serious development. All I'm doing at the moment is keeping up with new Delphi builds. So I'm currently pretty relaxed about renewing subscriptions that have run out for a while etc. So please don't worry if you've let your subscription slide, if that happened because I missed sending out the renewal notice.

You can renew for 2 or multiple years if you like, by just ordering multiple units of the renewal shop item.
CharlieHeaps

Post by CharlieHeaps »

Sorry to bug you again. I've managed to upgrade to Delphi 11.3 and the latest MadExcept now, but my Delphi/windows/VCL app does now crash if MadExcept and high entropy ASLR both enabled. Crash happens only once app is fully initialized, the first form is shown and on first user click anywhere in main form. Crashes go away once high entropy ASLR switched off or MadExcept switched off.

The crash is reported as follows: "Debugger Fault Notification: ...exe faulted with message: ' c000041d'. I was not able to track that down to any specific line of code but it seems to occur soon after the application.run statement.

Have you got any suggestions? This is not urgent as I can just use regular ASLR, but I'm guessing it will trip up quite a few people using Delphi 11.3 as HE ASLR is switched on by default for 64-bit apps.

NB: All of the above only seems to apply to 64-bit Delphi VCL apps for Windows.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Does this only happen with 11.3 and worked fine with 11.2? Please double check with the new official build I just released:

http://madshi.net/madCollection.exe (madExcept 5.1.3, installer 2.8.12.0)

Also, can you please check if this problem only occurs in your big main application, or if you can also reproduce it with a brand new almost empty project?
aehimself

Post by aehimself »

Anyone else with 5.1.3?
MadCollection.PNG
MadCollection.PNG (14.14 KiB) Viewed 310880 times
DanielT

Post by DanielT »

@aehimself: Yes, but it just looks like the "SmartScreen doesn't know this app, because it hasn't been download often" warning. Just as expected for new downloads. VirusTotal looks good, the installer too, so the download should become unlisted by SmartScreen shortly. You can help to do so by reporting the download to Microsoft as safe.

@madshi: Thank you for the new version. Much appreciated!
CharlieHeaps

Post by CharlieHeaps »

Sorry - I never had 11.2 installed - jumped straight from 11.1 to 11.3. Will try with your new update. Thanks for that! Will try on a small app too and report back soon.
CharlieHeaps

Post by CharlieHeaps »

Further update - I've now tested MadExcept 5.1.3 and Delphi 11.3 in my 64-bit VCL-based app.

I do still get the same kind of crash as noted below. Crash goes away if I disable ASLR, but now occurs even if I disable MadExcept, so possibly the previous MadExcept version was just hiding the deeper probem in my app(?).

I don't get any crash in a really simple hello world app, so seems there's is something deep in my app causing the crash.

So long story short, I don't think MadExcept is causing the problem I'm seeing (although I am still at a loss what could be causing it).

Thanks for all your support!
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Does madExcept catch and report the crash?