How to pause a code and return later ?

delphi package - automated exception handling
luciano_f

How to pause a code and return later ?

Post by luciano_f »

Hello good morning everyone, has any colleague managed to do this?

I already searched a lot on google and didn't find anything that worked, and maybe the more experienced colleagues have already done it, I think it's similar.

I would like to create a Showmodal form that is Local and doesn't block my entire system but to do that I need a way to pause the code and go back, several situations like "messagedlg" would be very useful for my system.

All my attempts have failed

In the code below if I run Form2 and after Form3 the code flow is retained on Form3 I wanted a way to be able to return the code flow on Form2 when I close it because in the current form I will always have to close the last open form to run code after Assigned

attached a small project for colleagues to take a look at
If you can help me I will be immensely grateful.

procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
begin
Form2 := TForm2.Create(Nil);
Form2.Show;

while Assigned(Form2) do
Application.HandleMessage; // or Application.ProcessMessages Failed

Showmessage('End Form2');
end;

procedure TForm1.Button2Click(Sender: TObject);
begin
Form3 := TForm3.Create(Nil);
Form3.Show;

while Assigned(Form3) do
Application.HandleMessage; // or Application.ProcessMessages Failed

Showmessage('End Form3');

end;
Attachments
Exemplo 4 madExcept.zip
(2.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
iconic
Site Admin

Re: How to pause a code and return later ?

Post by iconic »

Hello,

TBH with you this is a very ugly thing to do and a lot can go wrong. If you're wanting to do something like return to code that needs to be executed then you might be able to get away with this using a 'label' and 'goto' statement. In theory it should work unless I didn't fully understand your post. You'd need to combine both button click events though into a single procedure to handle this.

e.g:

Code: Select all

Procedure Blah();
label ReRun;
begin
      ReRun:
      DoSomething();
      if not (condition) then
      goto ReRun;
end;
--Iconic
luciano_f

Post by luciano_f »

by iconic » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:05 pm
Hello,
TBH with you this is a very ugly thing to do and a lot can go wrong. If you're wanting to do something like return to code that needs to be executed then you might be able to get away with this using a 'label' and 'goto' statement. In theory it should work unless I didn't fully understand your post. You'd need to combine both button click events though into a single procedure to handle this.
Yes I understand it's an ugly thing
what I need is a way to create Showmodal Forms that doesn't block the whole system and for that the only idea I had.

Would the colleague have any ideas for me to be able to create a FormShow Modal that does not block the whole system?
I would like to pause the code and then return.

The code you gave me works but for that I will have to program all my ShowModal and MessageBox screens
I would like a code that is Global that works for the whole system, how can I adapt your code inside a Function ?
iconic
Site Admin

Post by iconic »

Hello,
The code you gave me works but for that I will have to program all my ShowModal and MessageBox screens
Yes, you're 100% correct about this as each instance would need to have code added. However, why not just create a thin wrapper around (e.g: ShowModal or MessageBox) and have the code in a label/goto handle this for you? Now all instances of those ShowModal/MessageBox calls act accordngly. That's really all you can do in this case TBH, I am sure Madshi would agree with me here.

--Iconic