MadExcept does not create reports

delphi package - automated exception handling
PizzaProgram

Re: MadExcept does not create reports

Post by PizzaProgram »

Sorry for the confusion!

1. YES, MadExcept is currently working perfectly well right now. Both under the IDE and also under other machines. :greenBalloon:

2. But I'm trying to find out why it did not, because it is clearly happened to others too, and I would not like to happen to me again without noticing while compiling.

So to figure this out (for both of us) my question remains:
- Is it possible, that MadExcept is using some kind of post-compiling, and I always have to press the OK button after Build, before copying the EXE file? (under Delphi7)

PS: I've bought the software just now. ( Order #: 790257653 )
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

madExcept does some patching to your EXE file, and it's done automatically after you've compiled the EXE. I'm not sure whether the patching is done before or after you press "OK" after a successful build. In my Delphi installations, I always configure Delphi to automatically close the build window if building succeeds.

In any case, I've not had any similar reports of madExcept not working from anyone else in a long time. There is this other thread you mentioned earlier, but other than that I don't remember any such reports at all right now.

In any case, thank you for the order! I'll send you the key file in a few minutes.
PizzaProgram

Post by PizzaProgram »

YES, that was/is the problem!
I have to click OK after Build, because it will post-compile MadExcept to my EXE after that.

This is bad this way: no warning, no other possibility ...
Can not turn off, because it would cause other problems for me... :-( I'm used to this since 25 years to leave that window there to know:
- YES, I have compiled it, it is safe to start signing & compressing & distributing the EXE.

More about this later, but now I have a deadline.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I don't have control over the timing of how/when the IDE shows that window vs calls the madExcept IDE wizard to notify about the compiled EXE. The madExcept IDE wizard has to wait until the EXE is fully compiled & linked and can only apply its patches afterwards. According to your description, the madExcept IDE wizard only does its patching after you close that window, which means that the IDE only notifies madExcept about that the compiling & linking has succeeded, after you close that window. That is outside of my control, unfortunately.

However, if you apply manual things like signing and compressing the EXE, you can in the same step also manually ask madExcept to do its patching, instead of relying on the madExcept IDE wizard. You can do that by calling the command line tool "madExceptPatch.exe", providing it with the path to your compiled EXE file and with the path to the "yourProject.mes" file (which contains the madExcept settings for your project). I'd suggest that you do this right before signing the EXE. The madExcept IDE wizard does nothing else: It just calls "madExceptPatch.exe" when you close that box.

Hope that helps?
PizzaProgram

Post by PizzaProgram »

Wow!
That helps a LOT!

And this is exactly the solution, how you can help for newcomers, like me, and eliminate a serious flaw:
- By default: the .mes file should contain an extra parameter :

Code: Select all

ShowFinishedWindowAfterCompile=1
At the Setup windows in the first page there should be +1 checkbox on top to uncheck.
(For advanced users.) (default=true=Checked)

[ x ] Show a "Finished" window after post-compile of MadExcept.

This will clearly reveal, how this whole thing works, and we can turn off the standard "Build finished" window.
(You may put a hint to your messageBox)
SUCCESS!
MadExcept.exe ran via post-compile and attached itself to the EXE/DLL file.
Now your file will be able to create reports outside of this IDE environment too.
(If you saw a "Build Finish" window before, you can turn that off at Delphi's IDE.)
(Sorry, no time to create a picture.)
PizzaProgram

Post by PizzaProgram »

OFF:

Believe me, it is VERY important, that you fix this!

I am a living example, who
- almost dropped the whole "buying" because of this problem.
- wasted several days to find the problem, causing frustration.

Who knows, how many other programmers faced the same problem, just had no time or mood to report, simply moved on to some other, more reliable solution?

For a "pro" like you, this is just a 5 minutes job. ;-)

I hope my idea helps. :blush:
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Well, the important thing is that it's working for you now, right?

In the past 20 years of madExcept, you're only the 2nd person who reported this issue. So I don't think it's that common. And it's definitely not madExcept's fault. I think you keeping the window open and then doing things in the background to the EXE file while the window is still open is not something that a lot of devs seem to do.

Yes, I could try auto-closing that compilation window, but it isn't all that easy, I'd have to somehow install a hook that gets notified when the window is opened. Plus, this window is not shown by all Delphi versions, and it might differ from one version to the next. So I'd have to do a lot of testing to get it right and make it work with all Delphi versions.

The easier solution might be to check if Delphi stores the "auto close" property in the registry somewhere and simply force it on by madExcept's IDE wizard. But doing that would take the option available from the user/dev, so I'm not very fond of that approach, either.
PizzaProgram

Post by PizzaProgram »

Hi,
Well, the important thing is that it's working for you now, right?
No, that's unimportant, because I'm not such a selfish person. :shock:
1. :greenBalloon: Firstly I would like to help You, to prevent loosing other customers in the future. :greenBalloon:
2. :greenBalloon: Help all the other programmers to not suffer from this problem. :greenBalloon:
3. :greenBalloon: Save time for others to understand + give better control over the post-compiling procedure. :greenBalloon:
(Sorry, if I can not express myself well enough with my limited English words.)
---

My current goal, to make you understand:
There IS a simple solution to all of these problems!
Wrote it down detailed before: viewtopic.php?p=54354#p54354
It's like you had skipped my idea/solution message completely 2 posts before... ?
---
Yes, I could try auto-closing that compilation window...
Again: No, I did not say that. Just the opposite!
I really do not understand, why do you keep repeating this ?
...only the 2nd person who reported this issue
Statistically that means there where min. 30 of us, but only two of us to investigate, test and wrote back.
(I did not check ALL your posts, just found the first one writing about this and tested.)

Why I know this? :blueBalloon:
Currently I'm in a group of 50+ programmers working on the same problem. 4 of us is writing to the boards, opening new topics, ALL the others are just reading those. (It's a new gen. forum, we can see the participations / readings, etc.) :sceptic:
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Ah ok, I misunderstood your suggestion.

What you suggest would be possible to implement, of course. I'm not 100% convinced it will make a big difference, though. I usually only implement a change/improvement if at least a couple of unrelated users ask for it. The user in the other thread seemed to be happy with just auto-hiding the IDE window automatically. So you're the only user currently asking for this new feature. Anyway, I'll add it to my "features under consideration" list.
PizzaProgram

Post by PizzaProgram »

Anyway, I'll add it to my "features under consideration" list.
Thank you very much!
It would really help to prevent any mistakes.
( It is very hard to change on something, that somebody is doing 20+ years long daily. )

And it is basically:
  • 1 checkbox
  • 1 ini value
  • 1 message box at the end.
We have wrote about it ca 3x so much time, than it would take actually do it...