altering the bugreport dialog's icon

delphi package - automated exception handling
zbeleh

altering the bugreport dialog's icon

Post by zbeleh »

Hello,

I've been trying to replace the bugreport's red X icon with a custom BMP, but am stuck on either:
- getting a warning message asking for a 32x32 TrueColor icon with Alpha channel, or
- not getting a warning at all, and instead getting what looks like a fully transparent icon (no icon at all)

Any recommendations on tools / methods to generate a BMP compatible with MadExcept's requirements from a PNG image, for example?

thanks!
madshi
Site Admin

Re: altering the bugreport dialog's icon

Post by madshi »

I think the easiest solution would be to use e.g. Gimp (freeware) to load a 32x32 PNG image and then export is as a BMP file. In the export dialog you can choose which format to export it in, and there please make sure you choose 32bit with the alpha channel included. That should hopefully do the trick?
zbeleh

Post by zbeleh »

in GIMP's "export image as BMP" dialog, under "Advanced / 32-bit", i tried exporting in both available options, namely:
- "A8 R8 G8 B8", where i assume A8 is the 8-bit alpha channel
- "X8 R8 G8 B8" (no clue what X stands for, but tried nonetheless due to lack of other options)

both in vain, unfortunately:
bla.png
bla.png (16.25 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Sorry about that, not sure why it doesn't work. I think there are different BMP headers available with some variations. I've double checked myself yet and the easiest way is to have Gimp export a transparent *.png to an *.ico file instead of a *.bmp file. That works for me.
zbeleh

Post by zbeleh »

as ico worked just fine, thanks!
did not know it was also supported until your latest reply.