IDE Crash on upgrade to MadExcept 5.1

delphi package - automated exception handling
laes

IDE Crash on upgrade to MadExcept 5.1

Post by laes »

Hello,

I am currently facing the same issues that this thread by mrj describes.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28797

I was using MadExcept 5.0(I believe it was 5.0, I dont know if there is a way to check which version I was using before) for some time and decided to upgrade. After installing and restarting the IDE, the splash screen freezes at
Loading package MadExcept_.bpl

After uninstalling the IDE starts up again. Installing MadExcept version 4.1.3 also works.
I have tried
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling MadExcept
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling RAD Studio
  • Restarting my PC after installs
  • Checking if "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Embarcadero\BDS\20.0\Known Packages" still contains Mad* entries
  • Installing the bpl file manually through "Component -> Install Packages".
    Which generates this error :
    Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG (5.37 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
I am now out of ideas and would like it if someone more knowledgeable, in terms of Delphi packages, could give me some pointers as to what I'm doing wrong. If there is any information I can provide to Identify the problem please feel free to ask.

Thank you for your time and thank you madshi for creating this package in the first place.
madshi
Site Admin

Re: IDE Crash on upgrade to MadExcept 5.1

Post by madshi »

Try a full cleanup like this:

1) Uninstall madCollection.
2) Search harddisk and registry for "mad*" and delete everything that belongs to madCollection.
3) Start Delphi to confirm that it starts up with no complaints and no trace left of madExcept anywhere (e.g. library paths etc).
4) Now reinstall madExcept.

This has often helped before. Hope it helps you, as well?
laes

Post by laes »

Thank you for your swift reply.

I did indeed find and delete multiple files named DUnitX.StackTrace.MadExcept3.dcu in the release subfolders in C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\lib. There were also library paths left after uninstalling so I removed those. I also used a third party Registry editor for searching since regedit.exe didn't find everything on its own. I deleted those Keys/Folders as well.

Sadly I still run into the same issue as before.

While searching for all files related to the madcollection I happened to find the installer I used to install MadExcept 5.0. So I tried installing that version, which worked on my machine before, with the result that the IDE now crashes with that version too.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Do you have any self-written BPLs loaded in the IDE?
laes

Post by laes »

I'm dabbling in writing one but I keep uninstalling it since it leaks memory at the moment. I'm still very new to it though, does it leave any traces, after I uninstall it, that I should be aware of which could conflict with MadExcept?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

If you've removed it then it shouldn't harm.

I'm not really sure how to proceed here. In the other thread you linked the user fixed the problem by reinstalling the IDE. But before you go to that length, maybe the following might debug the issue without spending so much time:

1) Install madCollection.
2) Copy the installed folder.
3) Uninstall madCollection.
4) Put the copied folder back to the original place.

Now you have the original files in the original path, but the IDE should not have any reference to them (just yet). Now you could try adding the following BPLs to the IDE one by one:

- madBasic\madBasic_.bpl
- madDisAsm\madDisAsm_.bpl
- madExcept\madExcept_.bpl
- madExcept\madExceptWizard_.bpl

Of course you need to pick them from the correct BDSxx folder. Might make sense to restart the IDE after adding each BPL. Does this work? Or does the IDE start freezing up at some point? If so, at which point exactly?
laes

Post by laes »

This did the trick. I wonder why this approach didn't work when I tried installing the packages manually before.
Anyway thank you very much for your help.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Still not sure what the real issue was, though... :shock: