Compiler/Executable blocked for 60s

delphi package - automated exception handling
Klaus

Compiler/Executable blocked for 60s

Post by Klaus »

Gentlemen,

since Delphi 10.1 Berlin I have the problem that the compiler seems to be waiting for something a full 60s (ssems to vary a bit) before it starts. It seems to happen upon compiling the second time after enabling madExcept in the Project Settings AND editing one of the project source files - the first time usually compiles just normally.

I have seen this on different projects and on four different machines. This is especially annoying when I'd like to use the debugger (hitting F9) for a rapid development, as I have to wait 60s eqach time. It also happens, but not each time, if I just compile (using Ctrl-F9) the project, or even if I run the compiled EXE from the Windows Explorer. During the 60s blockage, the IDE or the Windows Explorer window are not reacting at all, and the busy icon is shown. After that, the target application is running as expected.

After restarting the IDE, the first time again works fine, but only once.

I tried to reduce the freezing detection from 60s to 12s, and I tried to even disable freezing detection. Did not help.

In addition, while testing this today on a rather small project, it happens that the (intended) EDivByZero is not caught by madExcept anymore when running the project within the Debugger (F9).

Using Delphi 10.1, Windows 10, madExcept 5.1.0. (same behaviour with masExcept 5.0.0) on a 3.2GHz i5.

I have not been using madExcept for about three years, now, and hoped the updates would cure the problem.
Any ideas what I could test in order to find the cause?

Regards,
Klaus.
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Compiler/Executable blocked for 60s

Post by madshi »

Never heard about such a problem yet.

First thing to check is if maybe your anti-virus is throwing a fit. Wouldn't be the first time that an AV software causes trouble.

Strange thing is that you're seeing this on 4 different machines, while nobody else seems to see the same problem. So that makes me wonder if there's something that is the same on all your 4 different machines, while being different to other people's PCs?

One other thing you could try is removing the "madExceptIde_.bpl" package from the list of loaded IDE packages. Does that change anything? Probably not, but still worth a try.

The weird thing is that the explorer itself freezes. That is not something that madExcept should be able to achieve (accidently or even intentionally) because madExcept should really only affect the running process and the IDE, but not the Windows explorer. Which makes me think that it's likely some other software on your PC causing this (possibly in combination with madExcept).

Do you have a VM with a freshly installed OS with no other 3rd party software on it? If so, what happens if you install only Delphi and madExcept on that VM? Does the same problem occur? If not, you could try installing all the other software you have on your development PC piece by piece to find the one which is causing this problem?