Delphi 10.4

delphi package - automated exception handling
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Delphi 10.4

Post by madshi »

I've just rechecked with 2.8.8.0, and the same crash occurs for me. :sceptic:

Are you compiling via IDE or via command line or automated build or something else?
DanielT

Post by DanielT »

Ok, this is strange .. I double checked it againl, but it doesn't crash with 2.8.8.0 for me.

I'm compiling via IDE right now. The only difference in between the tests is the installed madExcept version.
I can offer to share my screen with you if you want to take a closer look at the build environment (please just send me a mail if you want to schedule a call).
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Have you tried what I suggested before?

Code: Select all

{$ifdef LeakChecking}
  StartLeakChecking(False);
{$endif}
DanielT

Post by DanielT »

Yes I did, but it either disables the leak checking completely (as expected) or keeps on crashing if I specify LeakChecking for the specific build target.

I also searched to forum a little and found this topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28554&start=15

I guess this explains why it seemed to work for us with 2.8.8.0 and stopped working with 2.8.8.99, and why it didn't work with 2.8.8.0 for you. It seems like the checks simply haven't been taking effect in the 64bit builds (up until 2.8.8.2).
This would at least give us a workaround for now (keeping the current but erroneous behavior by deactivating the checks).

It also brings up the question why these checks work with 32bit builds as expected. Wouldn't the general problems you described apply here as well?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Yes, I guess that would explain why it didn't crash for you. And yes, in theory the same problem applies to win32, as well. Maybe I'll spend some time to figure out why/where it crashes in x64 and try to avoid it, but it's really tricky when 2 different memory managers are active at the same time, and some allocations were made with one, while others were made with the other.

I'm not sure I understand your first sentence about build targets.
DanielT

Post by DanielT »

Would be great, thank you very much.
Yes I did, but it either disables the leak checking completely (as expected) or keeps on crashing if I specify LeakChecking for the specific build target.
Using {$ifdef LeakChecking}, there are two dimensions/four scenarios:

Deactivating Leak Checking with the MES Settings AND not defining LeakChecking wth the build target options -> No error, but also no leak checking
Activating Leak Checking with the MES Settings AND not defining LeakChecking wth the build target options -> No error, but leak checking for all targets
Deactivating Leak Checking with the MES Settings AND defining LeakChecking wth the build target options -> Error occurrs.
Activating Leak Checking with the MES Settings AND defining LeakChecking wth the build target options -> No error, but leak checking for all targets
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Is there a reason for not simply always activating leak checking in the madExcept options? Leak checking will not actually become active unless your EXE finds madExcept32/64.dll, so you can decide whether leak checking should be used simply by making the dlls available or not available. Maybe that would work for you?
oliver9

Post by oliver9 »

Looks like it has been about a month since the last update. Any news of when a 10.4 compatible version will be available? I'm using C++ Builder 10.4.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

New official build out now:

http://madshi.net/madCollection.exe  (installer 2.8.9.0, madExcept 5.1.0)
fabio.esquivel

Post by fabio.esquivel »

I just installed the official 5.1.0 build from the link above and tried to compile some programs with no success...

[dcc64 Fatal Error] Cypher.dpr(13): F2063 Could not compile used unit 'madExcept'

Note that I had just updated Delphi 10.4 with the first and second patches from Embarcadero... I don't know if they are causing this.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

It sounds like there's some old madExcept.dcu floating around on your harddisk somewhere. I'd suggest a cleanup like this:

1) Uninstall madCollection.
2) Search harddisk for mad*.* and delete all files that belong to madCollection.
3) Reinstall madCollection.

Hopefully that fixes the problem?
PatHeuvel

Post by PatHeuvel »

Trying to build a C++Builder application, Win64, RAD Studio 10.4 (w/all patches). Fails with a link error. Win32 builds fine.

Win64 link fails whether or MadExcept is enabled or disabled.

I've also checked for old mad*.* stuff, none found.

I created a simple C++ FMX application - just a window, no other controls. Same failure.

If I uninstall MadExcept ( :( ), all link successfully.

Is C++ not supported?

Thanks and regards,
Pat
ZSL

Post by ZSL »

I just downloaded 5.1 to install into D 10.4 but the 5.1.0 panel is greyed out with the message "Singe developer, 2 days left" and does not install.

How do I get it to install?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

@Pat, 64bit is currently only supported for Delphi, but not for C++, which is also mentioned on the website:

http://www.madshi.net/madExceptDescription.htm

@ZSL, please let's discuss this via email. You can write to madshi (at) gmail (dot) com.
PatHeuvel

Post by PatHeuvel »

Oops, I must've skipped that paragraph ;)

Thanks mate! Lifesaver of a package too!