Exceptions not caught outside of development enviroment

delphi package - automated exception handling
SeanSmith

Exceptions not caught outside of development enviroment

Post by SeanSmith »

I maintain a few Dephi applications (written in XE2 and XE3), and we've been using madExcept for a few years without any issues.

A few months ago, I released new versions of the products I work on and since then madExcept has not caught a single exception when the executables are run outside of the virtual machines I use for development.

I've tried removing/re-adding madExcept from the IDE, removing/re-adding from the project, changing build configurations (release vs debug), order of conditional defines, inheriting conditional defines, etc, to no avail. Exceptions are always caught in the development enviroment, but never caught outside.

I have tried creating a test project, in which madExcept is correctly catching exceptions on inside and outside the development, so the issue seems to be confined to the existing projects. I'm not really sure where to go from here, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
iconic
Site Admin

Re: Exceptions not caught outside of development enviroment

Post by iconic »

Which version of madExcept are you using and also can you upload a small test project (hollow out your maintained project that doesn't work?)

--Iconic
SeanSmith

Post by SeanSmith »

Thanks for the response, but I've actually just stumbled upon the issue purely by accident.

I had recently set up post-build event to copy the executable into another directory for creating installs. As I've come to understand, madExceptPatch.exe is also run as a post-build event as well but the post-build events in the IDE are executed before the madExcept patch can be applied.

I've resolved the issue by removing my post-build events as I can work without them.
iconic
Site Admin

Post by iconic »

Good catch :D Glad you were able to resolve your issue

--Iconic