Installing MadExcept cause XE7 to crash on opening

delphi package - automated exception handling
jeanmilost

Installing MadExcept cause XE7 to crash on opening

Post by jeanmilost »

Hello,

I'm facing a very strange issue. Every time I install MadExcept on my computer, the RAD Studio XE7 IDE crashes on opening. I can see the opening splash screen, all is fine until 97%, while the MadExcept_.bpl module is opening, then the splash screen closes and nothing more happen. When I uninstall MadExcept all return to normal.

I tried the last version, same issue.

Please can someone help me?

I attached a screenshot of the splash screen just before the issue happen:
XE7_Splashscreen.png
XE7_Splashscreen.png (76.32 KiB) Viewed 7243 times
Regards
iconic
Site Admin

Re: Installing MadExcept cause XE7 to crash on opening

Post by iconic »

Hello,

It's possible that madExcept and another package are somehow colliding during load/init time of the IDE.
Have you tried "temporarily" disabling the IDE Fix Pack to see if the problem disappears in order to rule some
other packages out? Unfortunately, it would be nearly impossible for Madshi or I to test every 3rd party
add-on/extension that integrates with the Delphi IDE, so this would be the first path I would start with.
It's also quite possible that this Fix Pack is doing something out of the ordinary that madExcept doesn't like
nor expect when attempting to load. Based on v1.4 (which was open source) it says this about Fix Pack
The VCL Fix Pack is a Delphi unit that fixes VCL and RTL bugs at runtime by patching the original functions
Well, madExcept patches function calls too so this is likely a hook related issue you're experiencing between
the 2.

--Iconic
jeanmilost

Post by jeanmilost »

Hi Iconic,

Thank you for your answer. So I tried your suggestion, and completely uninstalled my IDE fix pack before reinstalling MadExcept. I got the same result. I took a new screenshot, just before the IDE crashes:
xe7WithoutIDEFixPack.png
xe7WithoutIDEFixPack.png (73.73 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
Do you have another idea that will allow me to solve the issue?

Regards
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Does renaming "madExceptIde_.bpl" change anything?

If you have multiple Delphi versions installed, there will be multiple madExceptIde_.bpl packages. In that case you need to rename the correct one for XE7, of course.
jeanmilost

Post by jeanmilost »

Hi Madshi,

Thank you for your answer. I tried your below suggestion:
Does renaming "madExceptIde_.bpl" change anything?
However this still not resolved my issue.

What I exactly did was:
  • Open my MadExcept installation dir (C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madExcept\BDS15\win32 in my case)
  • Locate madExceptide_.bpl file and rename it to madExceptXE7_.bpl
  • Reopen my IDE
Now I get the following popup:
XE7IDEPopup.png
XE7IDEPopup.png (6.74 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
I answer Yes, immediately after that, the IDE crash again.

For your info (don't know if this may help), I effectively 3 IDE versions installed side by side: XE7, XE8 and 10.0 Seattle

Any idea?

Regards
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

But XE8 and Seattle work fine? Did madExcept ever work for your XE7?
jeanmilost

Post by jeanmilost »

Hi Madshi,
But XE8 and Seattle work fine?
Yes, I have no problem to open the two other IDE
Did madExcept ever work for your XE7?
Some time ago, yes. It happened after I updated my system to Windows 10, if I remember well. I never could reinstall MadExcept for my XE7 after that. However I'm working in a team, and all my colleagues may use MadExcept with XE7 without issue.

Hope this helps.

Regards
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Is there anything special about your XE7 installation? Do your colleagues also have JomiTech TwineCompile and CnPack IDE Wizards installed, for example?

As of today, I don't remember any other XE7 users complaining about an issue like this. Not sure what it could be, to be honest.
jeanmilost

Post by jeanmilost »

Hi Madshi,
Is there anything special about your XE7 installation?
AFAIK no
Do your colleagues also have JomiTech TwineCompile and CnPack IDE Wizards installed, for example?
Yes, we used a common installation document, which theoretically should reproduce the same configuration (at least as close as possible) on every computers
Not sure what it could be, to be honest.
Well, probably something gone wrong while I updated to Windows 10. We also use several third party components, perhaps one of them entered in conflict...

But I haven't more time to search for now, unfortunately. In the absence of a real solution, I can at least use the following workaround, which allows me to compile and use MadExcept in my c++ code (I attached it here, perhaps it may serve one day for someone):
  • Install MadExcept
  • Make a duplicate of C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\ folder
  • Uninstall MadExcept and rename the duplicate folder to madCollection (can let it in C:\Program Files (x86)\)
  • Open the IDE, and in Tools->Options…->Delphi Options->Library, add the following paths under the Library path edit (NOTE replace all BDS15 occurrences by the correct one if needed):
    ;C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madBasic\BDS15\win32;C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madDisAsm\BDS15\win32;C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madExcept\BDS15\win32;C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\Plugins\win32;C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madKernel\BDS15\win32;C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madSecurity\BDS15\win32;C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madShell\BDS15\win32
  • In Tools->Options…->C++ Options->Path and Directories, add the following paths under the both System Include path and Library path edits (NOTE replace all BDS15 occurrences by the correct one if needed):
    ;C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madBasic\BDS15\win32;C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madDisAsm\BDS15\win32;C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madExcept\BDS15\win32;C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\Plugins\win32;C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madKernel\BDS15\win32;C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madSecurity\BDS15\win32;C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madShell\BDS15\win32
Thank you very much.

Regards
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Simply removing madExcept*.bpl packages from the list of installed/loaded packages in the IDE should also work. That way you wouldn't have to uninstall madExcept or manually modify the library paths etc.