access violation

delphi package - automated exception handling
Batteken

access violation

Post by Batteken »

Hello,

since version 5.0.0.0 we once in a while get the following error in our software and I was wondering if it is a crash inside madExcept itself or not.
It happens while the application is actually not doing any real actions.
Does it mean anything to you ?

thanks,
Bart
Attachments
access violation.png
access violation.png (85.83 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
madshi
Site Admin

Re: access violation

Post by madshi »

That's pretty hard to say with the little information we have. I don't suppose there's any way to reproduce this in a test project? Can you try updating to the latest beta build, just to see if that helps?

http://madshi.net/madCollectionBeta.exe

FWIW, the changes between the latest 4.x and 5.0 are relatively small. The biggest change is the support for 64bit leak reporting and "instantly crash" features. But I don't suppose you're actually using those in this software that is crashing?
Batteken

Post by Batteken »

Thanks for the quick reply.
I know it is not much information, but it happens at our customer side only on when the application is running over night. In the morning, they notice the application has crashed without a bug report from your side, so it looks like a 'hard' crash.
I will definetely try your beta version, and hope it fixes the problem :)
Batteken

Post by Batteken »

Is there something else we could try to collect to find out where the problem is ? Any suggestion is welcome :)
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

It could of course be some kind of memory corruption (buffer overrun), or the application running out of RAM. You could try running your EXE with "instantly crash on buffer overrun" activated. However, that consumes a LOT more RAM, so in 32bit you might run into "out of memory" problems, if you activate "instantly crash on buffer overrun". Might also make sense to try memory/resource leak reporting.
Batteken

Post by Batteken »

Thx, I will have a look at those options.