madExcept's exception box

delphi package - automated exception handling
rkskekfkak

madExcept's exception box

Post by rkskekfkak »

Hello,

I have questions regarding button of exception box.
I want to know why The continue application button exists.
The button makes me think like this "it is OK to continue even though an error has occurred."
So I want to know the continue button is used in which situation, why it is used, wheter it is recommended or not..

Thank you for reading and please answer about my question.
Attachments
errorpic.png
errorpic.png (6.9 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
Last edited by rkskekfkak on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Continue button of exception box

Post by madshi »

There are different kinds of exceptions. E.g. the user might just have typed a string into an edit field which is supposed to be a number. For such exceptions, you really don't have to close the application. Of course, if an access violation occurs, continuing might make less sense.

If you prefer, you can call "RegisterExceptionHandler(epQuickFiltering, stDontSync)" to check for the exception class of method and then disable or hide the "continue" button for certain exceptions. Or if you're sure that simple exceptions like incorrect edit field data don't occur in your application, and every exception is truly serious, then there's nothing wrong with generally hiding the continue button.
rkskekfkak

Re: Continue button of exception box

Post by rkskekfkak »

madshi wrote:There are different kinds of exceptions. E.g. the user might just have typed a string into an edit field which is supposed to be a number. For such exceptions, you really don't have to close the application. Of course, if an access violation occurs, continuing might make less sense.

If you prefer, you can call "RegisterExceptionHandler(epQuickFiltering, stDontSync)" to check for the exception class of method and then disable or hide the "continue" button for certain exceptions. Or if you're sure that simple exceptions like incorrect edit field data don't occur in your application, and every exception is truly serious, then there's nothing wrong with generally hiding the continue button.
Thanks for the answer
I already know i can hide the Continue button. Nevertheless, the reason i ask this question is to find out if it is reasonable to hide the Continue button.
If i understand your answer correctly, is it OK to use a Continue button like a simple type error and not use it if i am likely to get serious error?
madshi
Site Admin

Re: madExcept's exception box

Post by madshi »

Well, even if there's a crash, continuing might still be possible. It might make sense to at least *try*, in case the user hasn't saved his documents yet. Then he can at least try doing that before restarting the application. In the end it's your choice. You can hide or disable the button if you find that makes sense in your specific situation.