ANN: madExcept 5.0.0 (subscription)

delphi package - automated exception handling
madshi
Site Admin

ANN: madExcept 5.0.0 (subscription)

Post by madshi »

For a long time I tried to resist the temptation to switch to a madExcept subscription style license. But I finally have to give in now, because the number of license sales isn't as high as it used to be, while supporting and maintaining madExcept still requires the same amount of work as always.

So starting now, a new madExcept license will give you 1 year access to all minor and major updates/upgrades for free. After the 1 year period, you have the option to extend your subscription. If you don't, you will still be able (and allowed) to use all madExcept versions that were released within your subscription interval "forever". However, you will no longer get access to new madExcept builds released after your subscription has run out.

Considering that there are no new show stopper features on the radar right now, I'm setting the yearly subscription rate to a relatively modest 30% fee (of the price of a new license). To ease you into entering subscription, I'm now releasing madExcept 5.0, with a couple improvements over 4.x. The list of changes is relatively short, though, which means I will not ask for an upgrade price. So in a sense the upgrade to 5.0 is "free". I do, however, kindly ask you to consider entering the yearly subscription, which will give you access to version 5.0.

If you're ready to support my work, you can enter subscription right now, using the following direct shop links:

Single Developer Edition:
https://secure.shareit.com/shareit/prod ... =300876114

Company Edition:
https://secure.shareit.com/shareit/prod ... =300876115

Thank you very much!

If your madExcept 4.x license is younger than 1 year, please contact me to get a free new 5.0 key file with the appropriate time on the subscription clock.

madExcept 5.0.0 comes with the following changes:

(1) added support for Delphi/BCB 10.3 Rio
(2) added support for 64bit memory & resource leak reporting
(3) added support for 64bit buffer overrun etc detection

http://madshi.net/madCollection.exe (installer 2.8.8.0)
tkunicki

Re: ANN: madExcept 5.0.0 (subscription)

Post by tkunicki »

Fine. What do I need to do now? The purchase page says Upgrade v3 to v5 and I have version 4 license. Am'I eligible for an upgrade? Do I need to buy a new license?
It's not clear.
Thanks

Tomasz
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I'm sorry for the confusion. Probably I could have explained it better.

Basically you don't need to buy a new license, you don't even need to buy an upgrade. All you need to do is enter (or "renew") subscription.

(Of course this only applies for users who already have a madExcept 4 license. Other users still need to buy a full license or an upgrade from v3 to v5.)

P.S: I've added the direct "subscription enter/renewal" shop links to the first post.
davidheffernan

Post by davidheffernan »

I fully understand this move, and I will be taking out a subscription.

We rely heavily on your excellent software and are very happy to pay such an affordable price to help you keep developing it. Keep up the excellent work!
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Thanks David! :)
StephaneGrobety

Post by StephaneGrobety »

We bought a company license earlier this years and, as software developers, we understand the mathematic involved pretty well: if the devs don't get paid, they can't work.

This means that we not only approve but welcome the move to a subscription model, or any model that allows you to support existing users in the long run.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Thanks, Stéphane! :wink:
setzer0384

Post by setzer0384 »

Hi,
is there an official answer on how long we have after licence is expired to renew subscription at discounted price?

Thanks
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I still haven't made up my mind about that yet. I think as long as madExcept 5.0 isn't *that* much different to the last 4.0 build, I might see this relaxed and allow madExcept 4.x users to simply enter subscription whenever they like. However, once I add more features/improvements/changes to 5.0, I might change that and require an actual upgrade price. But I don't have any specific date in mind. It could happen any day, or it could take a while.
setzer0384

Post by setzer0384 »

I received an email this morning saying my subscription ends on February 28th 2019. That means I can ignore that for now right?

Thanks
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Well, if you ignore it, your key file won't work for new madExcept 5.0 builds released after February 28th. You can then still keep using 5.0.0, of course, but you won't get access to new builds.