Application Crash not caught by MadExcept

delphi package - automated exception handling
micthom

Application Crash not caught by MadExcept

Post by micthom »

I have a very strange issue that I was hoping MadExcept could assist. I installed to test, turned on MadExcept exception tracing -- and did a test crash and it was caught.

But my real application crash -- the one I'm trying to solve -- is not trapped. The standard microsoft crash dialog comes up that tells me the app has stopped working and offers to check online or close program.

Am I missing something? How is madExcept missing this crash?
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Application Crash not caught by MadExcept

Post by madshi »

The test crash was in the same application/project?

You can try calling "madExcept.InstallUnhandledExceptionFilter()" in the initialization of your project. I doubt it will make a difference, but it might be worth trying.
micthom

Post by micthom »

I think I found the issue -- and not sure what was happening. I was allocating a message handler and in the wndproc I was dispatching the message and not Calling DefWindowProc. Once DeallocateHWnd was called later forms were getting an error and the callstack was all MS processes.

For curiosity I'm assuming maybe this crash happened higher up and something MadExcept couldn't catch. Just trying to learn what items madExcept cannot catch?

Thanks again -- VERY EASY TOOL to use and get running. I will purchase. Much better than a competitor :)
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Yeah, there's a known issue with I think crashes in AllocateHwnd not always being caught automatically. It's on my to do list to look at.

Glad to hear you like it, other than the issue you found.