Completely crash

delphi package - automated exception handling
kewinbrand

Completely crash

Post by kewinbrand »

Hello,

I'm facing an completely crash with my application. After some actions, the application simple dissapear, without any message. I cannot say what's causing it but shouldn't MadExcept catch it? Also the 'bugreport.txt' log doesn't show anything new.
I tought it could be something related to antivirus, but also seems to happen w/ it disabled.
Any idea why MadExcept isn't catching the problem?

Thank you so far.
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Completely crash

Post by madshi »

There are several situations in which madExcept can't do its job, anymore. E.g. if the Delphi memory manager stops working, madExcept can't do anything, anymore, because madExcept needs to allocate stuff, too. Just to name one example.

Generally, this sounds like your process gets into a very bad state somehow. Often, this is caused by buffer overruns, or by accessing memory that was already freed, or things like that. Can you reproduce this crash reliably?
kewinbrand

Post by kewinbrand »

Hello!

Thank you for the tips.
Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it in a reliable way but I have a guess on what can be. Once I found the problem I'll post here.

Thank you so far.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

You could try using the "active error search" options (especially "instantly crash on buffer overrun") on the first tab of the madExcept settings dialog. Maybe it will help you find some buffer overruns? This feature only works for 32bit EXEs, though, and requires a ton of extra RAM. So it's possible your process might run into "out of memory" problems, with this option enabled. But it might still help, so it's worth a try. If it works, it's a great tool to locate buffer overruns quickly.