madExcept box shows empty tabs

delphi package - automated exception handling
santiago

madExcept box shows empty tabs

Post by santiago »

Hello madschi,

we have just updated our app from Delphi Seattle to Delphi Tokyo.
We are using the latest version of madExcept (4.0.18).

I raised an Exception just to make sure madExcept was working properly.

Code: Select all

raise Exception.Create('Hello!');
The madExcept box pops up.
However sometimes the tabs (general, call stack) display no content, and look like this:

This is something we had never experienced when using Seattle.

Now if I start clicking and activating the different tabs 'general', 'call stack', the content will eventually appear:

But even after the content has appeared, if I continue toggling between the tabs, they will at times show blank again.
If they do show blank, then the next time I activate the tab, the content displays again.

Any idea what can be causing this?

If it helps I can make a video where you can see what is happening.

Thank you!
madshi
Site Admin

Re: madExcept box shows empty tabs

Post by madshi »

Never seen this before. Can you reproduce it with a simple test project? Does it occur both inside and outside of the IDE/debugger? Does it occur in both 32bit and 64bit? Does it occur on every OS?
santiago

Post by santiago »

Hello madschi,

this problem has been driving me crazy.

These are all the (strange) facts I have so far:
  1. Problem also happens with Seattle. I recently installed the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. After doing this I switched to working with Tokyo (10.2 Update 1) and this is when the problem started to occur. Therefore I originally assumed it was a Tokyo related problem.
  2. So the problem is most likely related to the Fall Creators Update, as I had never experienced it before
  3. I made a very simple test app, replicating what we have in our main app. But I cannot reproduce the problem.
  4. When the madExcept box pops-up using our main app, the problem happens most of the time (>70%). To make it easy to reproduce I added a Test command that just raises an exception.
  5. However, I cannot reproduce the problem with the 64-bit nor with the release version of our app. Only with the 32 bit debug version.
  6. I also noticed that exception info is saved to the report (file) when the tabs remain blank. So it is 'only' a display issue.
  7. I had another colleague test for this problem on his machine. He had also updated to the Fall Creators Update. But he cannot reproduce it.
  8. A third colleague who is not runnning Fall Creators Update also tested, and cannot reproduce the problem either. He will update to Fall Creators Update tonight and we will then see how it goes for him tomorrow.
  9. So far it seems to be a problem specific to my machine after I upgraded to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, which only affects the 32 bit debug-version of our app...
In the coming days more and more developers will start updating to the Fall Creators Update. I will also be replacing my laptop in the coming weeks (not because of this issue though).
Anyhow if there is anymore relevant information I will update this thread.

Let me know if you have any idea/suggestion to what I could try.

Thx!
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Sounds really weird. Right now I don't have a good idea on what to try. I would need to be able to reproduce it on my PC in order to do something about it.
santiago

Post by santiago »

madschi,

some more info,

A colleague who updated to the Fall Creators Update just had the same problem.

The madExcept box showed up with empty tabs, however the report (file) contained all the info.

I now start to suspect that the likelyhood of the problem occurring is much higher when a 'real-world' exception is thrown (callstack contains more calls).

He had previously tested with just raising a simple exception from a test command and could not reproduce the problem.

Later today I will give it another shot at trying to provide you with a reproducible test app.
santiago

Post by santiago »

Some more info.
I have now upgraded my laptop. Unfortunately the problem still occurs with the new laptop as well.
My old laptop has an NVidia GeForce graphics card. My new laptop uses an AMD Radeon Pro graphics card.
So I guess that kind of rules out graphics card drivers.

My new laptop also runs on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

So far everything points at Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, but unfortunately I cannot reproduce the problem in a simple standalone application.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

If you really want to get to the bottom of this, I suppose you could try copying your main project and then dumbing it down step by step, until you end up with an empty frame. At some point the problem should go away, no? Might take quite a bit of time, though... :(