Suggestions for "message pump less" process freeze detectio

delphi package - automated exception handling
obones

Suggestions for "message pump less" process freeze detectio

Post by obones »

Hello,

We are running unattended integration tests at night and some are interacting with Excel or Word via OLE. Those two programs are notorious for popping up dialogs even if the appropriate options have been set.
When that happens, the calling program is stuck, waiting for a non existent user to click on OK.
In our launch system, we have a watcher that kills a process that takes more than 3 hours to execute but when it does so, there is no stack trace printed.
I have read about madTraceProcess32/64 and it could help, except that I could not find a way to call it from the command line.
Now, I could write code to specifically test for that kind of situation, but I'm not sure how to proceed considering that there is no message pump. One idea that comes to mind is to create a bug report periodically and if 10 times in a row I get the same one, trigger the "anti freeze" detection.
But that idea needs quite a bit of filtering because there are timestamps at various locations.

Any other ideas?
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for "message pump less" process freeze detec

Post by madshi »

I'm slightly confused. I see 2 problems that need solving here:

1) Detect the frozen state.
2) Create a freeze report.

You seem to already have "solved" problem 1), by simply considering all processes that take more than 3 hours to execute as frozen. So why would you periodically create bug reports? That makes no sense to me. Are you not happy with the 3 hours detection logic?

Creating a freeze report is easy enough. Are we talking about process creating a freeze report for itself, or do you want to get a freeze report about a different process than your own?
obones

Post by obones »

The 3 hours maximum run time is too crude to be of interest and because it's a "taskkill" external call, it's of no use from within our process itself.
Basically, it's a safety trigger, but I want something that reacts faster.

So basically, I'm trying to solve 1 because 2 is documented just fine.
And to solve 1, my initial idea was to create a complete call stack dump on a periodical basis (every 1 minute or so) and see if I get the same one for say, 10 times.
But this does not seem "clever" and I'm wondering if you have suggestions.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Do you want to detect a freeze of your own process or of another process?
obones

Post by obones »

Ah sorry, I was not clear enough, it's my own process.
So basically a watchdog thread that dumps a bugreport to stdout when it considers that all other threads have been doing nothing for a given duration.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Shouldn't your own process know by itself when it's frozen and when it's not? I think it would be easier and more reliable if you added dedicated code for freeze detection.

Of course it's possible to use the following API to get a callstack for a specific thread:

http://help.madshi.net/madExceptUnit.ht ... StackTrace

But stack tracing (especially in 32bit) is not an exact science, so there's no guarantee (although it's somewhat likely) that the callstack will be perfectly identical even if the thread is stuck.
obones

Post by obones »

The thing is, I have no idea which code is waiting for an answer. So, I can write a watchdog thread just fine, but the only way I can think of to detect stalling is to compare stack traces from times to times.
I know it can be imprecise, but if you have no other suggestion, I'll go this way.

Thanks
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

You can give it a try, of course.