Unresponsive IDE after Build

delphi package - automated exception handling
BytePlayer

Unresponsive IDE after Build

Post by BytePlayer »

I am using Delphi 5 (and yes, you can stop laughing now...) on a legacy project and after a build, the entire IDE gets completely unresponsive for 15-20 seconds.

Task Manager shows MadExceptPatch Running but with 0% CPU. Should I be seeing a progress dialog? Any ideas?

By the way, I thought it might be my anti-virus, so I white-listed it in WebRoot but it made no difference.
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Unresponsive IDE after Build

Post by madshi »

I'm often still working with Delphi 7 here, so no laughter here. I don't have any delays in Delphi 5 here when compiling a project.

1) Does this problem also occur for a brand new almost empty test project?

2) What happens if you deactivate madExcept in the Delphi IDE, then compile, then activate madExcept again and save the project, but do NOT compile. Then call madExceptPatch.exe manually in a command line window. Do you have the same freeze when doing this?

3) Please create an empty file "madExceptWizard.txt" on your desktop. Then reproduce the compile freeze. Then zip the text file and upload it somewhere for me to look at.

Some AV products are still somewhat active even if you disable them. Some AV products need to be uninstalled to really stop messing with your OS. Just saying. Not sure if that's the cause of the issue.

P.S: There's no progress window or anything similar because madExceptPatch processing should be lightning fast. Just a couple of milliseconds.
PChoiniere

Post by PChoiniere »

All Delphi 5 devs at my company is also having this same problem after upgrading from 4.0.7 to 4.0.15. I did notice that after opening Delphi 5, the first build and patch madExcept is very quick. The next builds will hang for up to a couple of minutes on the madExpectPatch.exe. My company had not changed anti-virus and it occurs on Windows 10 and 7. Something changed between 4.0.7 and 4.0.15 that caused this to start happening.

Note: I just tied reverting Delphi 5 to 4.0.7 today and the hangs disappear. Also notice that the hanging does not occur in XE2 for 4.0.15.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I've just tried to reproduce the problem here, but I couldn't. You'r saying "a couple of minutes"?? That's crazy!! And madExceptPatch.exe is listed in the task manager for all those minutes? Is it listed with CPU consumption at 0% or 100% or something else? Can you try run "madTraceProcess32.exe" on madExceptPatch.exe? Maybe we'll get a hint of where madExceptPatch is stuck? It's all very weird, though...