Issue with "MailBody" field in the ".mes" file

delphi package - automated exception handling
MarkusD

Issue with "MailBody" field in the ".mes" file

Post by MarkusD »

Hi,

there is an issue with the length of the "MailBody" field in the ".mes" file. It seems that it is not able to handle more than about 255 characters. I can edit that field in the dialog "madExcept 4.0.16 settings", and everything goes fine into the .mes file, but when I open the dialog "madExcept 4.0.16 settings" again, the whole text is truncated. See screenshots.

TIA, Markus
Attachments
The truncated text
The truncated text
2017-01-11_092608.png (31.54 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
The complete text in the .mes file
The complete text in the .mes file
2017-01-11_092539.png (32.37 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Issue with "MailBody" field in the ".mes" file

Post by madshi »

Can't seem to reproduce that problem here. I've added 280 chars to the MailBody field, then saved the project, closed Delphi, restarted Delphi, opened the project, and all 280 chars are still there.

Maybe you've edited the mes file with a text editor which can't handle lines longer than 255 chars?
Attachments
255.png
255.png (40.04 KiB) Viewed 4622 times
MarkusD

Post by MarkusD »

madshi wrote:Can't seem to reproduce that problem here. I've added 280 chars to the MailBody field, then saved the project, closed Delphi, restarted Delphi, opened the project, and all 280 chars are still there.

Maybe you've edited the mes file with a text editor which can't handle lines longer than 255 chars?
I'm using Notepad++ 7.3.3. :wink:

I recorded a short video https://www.hidrive.strato.com/lnk/0SmkOuHC to show what is going wrong. (I hope the German language is ok.)

TIA, Markus
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Thank you for the video.

I've just retested this with Delphi 7. I supppose I could also make a video, but I hope you'll believe me without one. Here's what I did:

1) Added a 13KB text file into the "mail body" memo in the madExcept settings dialog.
2) Saved the project.
3) Closed Delphi.
4) Opened Delphi.
5) Checked the "mail body" memo. Oooops, the text was cut down!
6) Copied the text to a text file and saved it. File size exactly 10000 bytes.
7) Checked the madExceptWizard.pas/dfm file, which is reponsible for the "mail body" memo. The TMemo field has the "MaxLength" property set to 10000. Oh, it makes sense now!

I don't know what else I can do here... :cry:

Which exact Delphi version are you working with? Maybe it only occurs with a specific Delphi version, although I'm not sure why that should be the case...

If you copy & paste the cut down text from the memo into a text file and save that text file to harddisk, how big (in bytes) is that file exactly?