64bit dll doesn't show MadExcept dialog

delphi package - automated exception handling
frevan

64bit dll doesn't show MadExcept dialog

Post by frevan »

When I build the 32bit version of our application's main dll, it works fine. When I build the 64bit version, it just shows the normal exception dialog.

I came across this post from 2013, which made me try madExceptPatch.exe manually and that worked fine:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27532

I can think of two possible reasons for this problem:
1. the file size, as the 64bit version is about 4MiB bigger than the 32bit one (almost 13MiB vs 8MiB)
2. more likely though, it's becasue we use the compiler def {$LIBSUFFIX '_x64'} in our project file to make sure the 64bit version compiles to a different filename. I'm guessing the patcher tries to patch the wrong filename?

I can get it to work now when I have to, but it might be good to look into this anyway.
frevan

Re: 64bit dll doesn't show MadExcept dialog

Post by frevan »

Further testing confirms it's because of the {$LIBSUFFIX '_x64'} code.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

It's a bug in Delphi. It just doesn't report the correct/full EXE file name to madExcept, when using that libsuffix option, unfortunately... :(
frevan

Post by frevan »

How do you get the binary name? It might be good to report this to Embarcadero so it has some chance of being fixed.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I've reported several bugs to Embarcadero in the past, none of them got fixed so far. So I've pretty much given up on that sort of thing... :(