MemoryLeaks & Windows 8.1

delphi package - automated exception handling
Han312

MemoryLeaks & Windows 8.1

Post by Han312 »

I have no problems with MemoryLeak detection on a Windows 7 workstation.
But I switched now temporarely to another Computer (Windows 8.1) and suddenly no memory leaks are reported.
I use the same settings (I copied the Project with the MES-file). But no window with reported memory leaks pops up.

What could be the reason?

Winodws 8.1 64-bit, Delphi XE8 and 32-Bit-compilation of the project
Han312

Re: MemoryLeaks & Windows 8.1

Post by Han312 »

I found now the reason. And it seems to have nothing to do with the OS but with your setup:

Windows 7:
I installed madCollection v2.7.12 and updated to v2.7.13
The MadExcept-Folder is c:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madExcept\

Windows 8.1:
I installed madCollection v2.7.13 directly
The MadExcept-Folder is c:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madExcept4\

I uninstalled 2.7.13, installed 2.7.12 and updated to 2.7.13 and now the madexcept Folder is without the number and everything works fine.

So I believe that the installer of 2.7 .13 is causing the problem.
If it is so and you can verify it then you have to fix it.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I can't reproduce the problem on my PC. 2.7.13 creates a folder named "madExcept" on my PC.

However, the folder is internally named madExcept4 in the installer, because the installer contains both madExcept 3 and madExcept 4. But the installer is supposed to rename the folder. It does so on my PC. And the whole installer logic hasn't changed for years. The installer for 2.7.13 isn't any different than the installer for 2.7.12, the code didn't change at all. I can only imagine that it probably was just "bad luck" that it failed for you. Not sure why. Maybe renaming failed for some weird NTFS rights issues. Or maybe your anti-virus software blocked the renaming, or something weird like that... :(
Han312

Post by Han312 »

Is this this reason why sometimes there are also *.bak folders in the madcollection folder? These ones weren't removed when I uninstalled the program. (but I saw these bak-folder also on another computer where madexcept worked.
So I didn't mentioned it.
Btw. after reinstalling I do not have these *.bak Folders

A little topic change (but it is still the installer). I installed MadCollection via USB stick. At the end of the setup you open an html-page (Revision, whatsnew...)
As long as the browser has that page open windows refuses to remove the USB-stick
Is there a way to finish the setup without such a problem?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

The .bak folders are created if you update your madCollection version and the installer detects that you changed one of the files. The installer then stores the changed files (and only those) in the .bak folders, so that your changes aren't lost.

I'm not sure why the USB stick can't be removed as long as the page is open. IIRC, the page is opened from the installation path, which is probably your harddisk. So why is the USB stick still "in use"? I'm not sure. The installer does have a "silent" command line option, you could try that, but I don't remember exactly what that option changes.