madExcept and remote debugging

delphi package - automated exception handling
obl918

madExcept and remote debugging

Post by obl918 »

If I create an empty fresh project, I can use paserver on a VM to deploy and debug the project with breakpoints functional.

If I enable madExcept for the project and drop a madExcept control on the form, and then try to deploy and debug, breakpoints stop working (but I can still see threads in the remote process).

This is repeatable with a fresh, blank project in D10 Seattle and paserver running on a VM in Windows 8.1 and Windows XP.

Is this a known limitation, or is there something I can do to make it work?

Thanks.
madshi
Site Admin

Re: madExcept and remote debugging

Post by madshi »

You can copy madExcept.pas and mad.inc into your project folder. That should make breakpoints work. However, that applies for local debugging. I've no idea about whether remote debugging has different requirements or not.
obl918

Post by obl918 »

Unfortunately that brings me back to the problem I had in this thread (and the breakpoints still disappear when the process runs anyway). I will see if I can duplicate that problem in a small test project.
obl918

Post by obl918 »

obl918 wrote:Unfortunately that brings me back to the problem I had in this thread (and the breakpoints still disappear when the process runs anyway). I will see if I can duplicate that problem in a small test project.
So the problem of an infinite AV on startup (as reported in that thread) can't be reproduced with a plain new project even if I copy over the madExcept.pas/ini files (which is what seems to cause it in my main project). I guess it would take some time to narrow down, because in my main project I am registering my own report handlers during initialization and using some of the other utility functions in the mad* library as well.

The problem with the breakpoints disappearing are only with a 32-bit project. I tested the same project targeted at a 64-bit Windows VM and it all "just works."

:-/
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Not sure what to say. So remote debugging in itself is not the problem. But the problem in the other thread is still one, if you try to compile madExcept.pas yourself, for the sake of getting breakpoints working? In that case it might make more sense to consider this thread closed and continue in the other thread?
billylo

Post by billylo »

I have the same problem with XE7. I need remote debugging, but after executing madExceptPatch.exe the debug info is not available. When I build the application without executing madExceptPatch.exe, everything works.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I'm not sure why that happens for you. In case you need remote debugging, maybe you can skip executing madExceptPatch in that situation?